IGNORED

piece for string orchestra

Guest jim

Guest oxiactionmax

I've just started working on a piece for string orchestra and, as structuring my music is one of my main compositional weaknesses, i've decided that it might be an interesting idea to hash out some ideas on paper and basically extend them into an improvisation spanning 5 minutes or so using suitable harmonic language (in this case it is somewhat akin to britten and early schoenberg). So i've basically played this using some roland string sounds on a digital piano, they're not particularly convincing and they certainly aren't suitable for faster passages (which is one of the reasons that this particular improv is lacking any quick melodic movement currently). What do you think though, (the sound quality sucks i know but the piece will *hopefully* be performed by a proper ensemble upon completion so it doesn't really matter) does it sound like it's lacking direction? I know music of this particular ...ilk isn't quite what ekt is all about but i really would like to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks.

I really like the grainy crackly mono quality of it actually, could be very effective in a horror movie. I really like the movements, haunting dissonce followed by moments of sweetness. Those bits where you hold the root note and go up by chormatic intervals are particularly goosebump-worthy. Really cool harmonization, love those big chords. This is really good. I like how it meanders, lots of mood swings. I mentioned it would be good in a horror movie --better yet, something by David Lynch. It would be perfect.

Nice work.

Archived