IGNORED

I need help...MIDI

b born droid

How can I express how little I know about MIDI and all things MIDI related. Ableton's MIDI learn feature has definately put pay to that. So excuse me if this is one of the stupidest questions you've heard.

Basically. I've got an Evolution X-Session MIDI controller. You've got the 16 controller knobs on it. When I move one it's got a range of 0 - 127 (which controls whichever MIDI CC # you have it assigned to etc etc etc). How do I change the range of that to...for example.... 0 - 90?

I know it's possible because I've watched a friend do it, but he's not about at the moment and I need to know now. I've read the entire manual from back to front and it doesn't say shit on how to do this. Maybe it's not possible afterall? I can't believe that.

Teach me.

Many thanks.

Or maybe if I tell you what it is I'm trying to do. There's a parameter on one of the plug ins in Ableton that goes from -inf. --> +6db. Which is annoying because when i move the controller it moves the full range. I want it to stop at 0db because i don't want it any higher than that. How do I do that?

Guest 277: 930-933

You program this on the controller, not in ableton.

I don´t have an x-session, but evolution´s website undoubtedly has a manual online which tells you how to do this.

MIDI POWER!

Or maybe if I tell you what it is I'm trying to do. There's a parameter on one of the plug ins in Ableton that goes from -inf. --> +6db. Which is annoying because when i move the controller it moves the full range. I want it to stop at 0db because i don't want it any higher than that. How do I do that?

put a limeter on it

You program this on the controller, not in ableton.

I don´t have an x-session, but evolution´s website undoubtedly has a manual online which tells you how to do this.

I've read the entire manual from back to front and it doesn't say shit on how to do this.

So I think you see my problem. :unhappy:

Guest 277: 930-933

Hey that´s weird.

Sorry.

Does it have any editing options at all?

I have a bcr, which uses the terms value1 and value2 to define the range of knobs.

Or use chris´s limiter idea?

And start looking into another controller maybe, it´s really shitty not to be able to define those parameters in a studio setting.

I´m very tired so sorry for reading over all kinds of stuff.

if your using live5 you can set the range of the controller at the bottom of the screen when your in midi learn mode.....

just move the desired controller then set the min and max range

dont think this was possible before

That's ok.

It does have some editing options, and quite a lot I don't really understand, but none that seem to tell me what I want to know. Like I say, I know it's possible because I've watched my friend do it on the exact same model.

Oh well, I'll keep trying to work it out.

there is a free program, by evolution/m-audio (they bought evolutin) called "Enigma" editor, and it allows you to change settings via the program, and upload them to your controller.

I believe the xsession is supported. go to m-audio.com and look around for it

is it the X-Session, or the X-session pro?

cause it looks like the non pro has the editor support, but I didnt see anything about it for the pro version.

heres the page anyways, dl it and see if it supports it

link

if your using live5 you can set the range of the controller at the bottom of the screen when your in midi learn mode.....

I'll try that. Never noticed that before.

cause it looks like the non pro has the editor support, but I didnt see anything about it for the pro version.

link

Not sure which edition it is either but I'd got Enigma and I was trying it out but for some reason I was having troubles putting it onto my X-Session. Whether that is down to me or not I don't know.

Thanks guys, I'll see what happens.

I'll try that. Never noticed that before.

link

Not sure which edition it is either but I'd got Enigma and I was trying it out but for some reason I was having troubles putting it onto my X-Session. Whether that is down to me or not I don't know.

Thanks guys, I'll see what happens.

well, if its the same picture as what your controller looks like, then it works... the normal, and the pro look very different, so if it looks the same, then youre set.

the changes dont update automatically. the arrows at the top (left?) are for uploading or downloading (to or from the device) the controller data

Archived