IGNORED

SAW 85-92 - the remake

Guest sicone

Hi All,

This may sound like heresy but has anyone thought about "remaking" SAW 85-92.

I think it's some of the yummiest music ever composed but as for the sound quality - yuk

and we all know why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selected_Ambient_Works_85-92

I've heard it said that the tape hiss and other artifacts are desirable on this album but I disagree.

Certainly some of the "lo-fi" (no offence intended) sounds are very desirable but the tape hiss??? come on.

I've done some experiments with noise reduction and frankly it's not the way ahead as it artifacts too much and does nothing to bring back the missing top end. I've come to the conclusion that the only way to do this is to remake the entire album as faithfully as possible. Obviously, what the "correct" mix should sound like is open to interpretation as nobody has heard what the top end ever sounded like originally (except the man himself) but....

Have you ever made a bassline or warm pad or blippy bleep in your home studio and thought "hey that sounds just like "Agiespolis" only cleaner".

Maybe the "final" version of any track would end up being a collaboration - my bassline, your bleeps and Kate from Norway's beats. Maybe there will be no final version just an open source project without an end.

Maybe the twin himself could judge entries.

Maybe someone has suggested this before and I'm 10 years late to the party.

Whatever - thoughts on a postcard please.

Archived