IGNORED

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Guest Robotussin

Guest Robotussin

I'm reading this book for the first time and I'm struck by the similarities to the whole Redmoon culture the Sandissons built up around them with their friends in Scotland. Some of the discussions of how everything was wired up for sound, with different parts of the woods/bus being miked and routed to other parts of the woods, movies being constantly made and projected - all of it sounds like vintage BOC.

There's a scene that really struck me with one of the guys on the bus having a bad trip and listening to headphones, with one stereo channel picking up the crackling of a campfire outside and the other picking up the metallic sounds of someone playing piano in a house nearby.

Obviously they consider acid and the psychadelic experience a big part of what they do, and I wouldn't be surprised if their parents were part of that movement - the timing would be right, with them being born in the 70s.

Anybody else notice this? I'm not talking about BOC being influenced by the 60s or the hippie culture in general, but specifically by Kesey/the Pranksters/the Tom Wolfe book.

the electric kool aid acid test is a great book.

bear in mind that this thread is more of a comparison to your imaginings of early boc, and not necessarily the reality.

just a friendly headzup, what?

Guest Odd NotsraM

I don't see the connect between Greatful Dead and Boards of Canada, personally...

I'm reading this book for the first time and I'm struck by the similarities to the whole Redmoon culture the Sandissons built up around them with their friends in Scotland. Some of the discussions of how everything was wired up for sound, with different parts of the woods/bus being miked and routed to other parts of the woods, movies being constantly made and projected
And you have evidence Boards of Canada has done this/does this on a regular basis?

PS: 'tussin, I hope you're not into DXM. :tongue:

Guest Odd NotsraM

Dextromethorphan (DXM) is a medicinal indgredient which is usually used as a cough-suppressant in OTC cough syrup (Robitussin being an infamous example of this). It has almost no dissassociative effect at lower doses (~1mg-~40mg), however, at higher doses (~150mg+) DXM has rather strong dissassociative properties. It's a drug commonly used by kids in middle/high school (aka. minors who don't know how to score).

While DXM itself is not a dangerous substance (rather low toxicity), it's usually the other medicinal indgredients mixed in with the cough syrup that harm people (usually Antihistimines). More information can be found at Erowid...

Guest Robotussin

i was really into dxm in high school - as uncomfortable as it can be physically, it's a pretty strong dissociative. i usually describe it as an "internal psychadelic" that doesn't concern itself with external stimuli, though it can get there at higher doses. i actually wrote a paper about it for a neuroscience class and concluded that it's relatively safe if you stay away from the wrong stuff (anything with acetaminophen or chlorpheniramine maleate).

call it a "loser drug" or whatever, but i credit it with being one of the few things that opened my eyes when i was growing up in suburban white america and inspired me to get the fuck out.

back to boc, i'll try to throw together some excerpts from interviews alongside stuff from the book.

Archived