IGNORED

M-Audio Ozone

mcbpete

Hello you'uns.

I'm looking to get a new external sound card and a USB midi controller and have noticed that M-Audio have combined them both in one nice little box:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioOzone-main.html

Plus it's only £122 from dolphin music.co.uk

Right so questions is:

Would this thing give me a standalone, and more importantly good quality soundcard to listen to music with ?

Would it allow me to cue tracks in say Ableton, Traktor etc. with the headphone output (i.e. does it support multiple outputs) using the headphone as a dedicated output.

Is it any good, does anyone know.

What would be a good alternative, that would do all of the above. Plus is about the same price.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I don't think there are enough outputs for Traktor... I don't think you can use the headphone port and the pair of 1/4" outs as separate outputs. But I don't know this for sure. M-Audio replied to my emailed question very quickly once so you might like to try that.

will check one out for you pete and pm you - we have one on display upstairs... though i'm just heading off on holiday for couple of days so bear with me.

will do you good price if u want to go for one (dolphin beating price..of course!).

oh my word, yeah that'd be awesome. Yeah the only thing I really need to worry about is whether or not it supports the ableton multiple out facility (for cue-ing tracks etc.) and whether or not the sound quality is worth getting as a standalone sound card.

Nah, I'm on one of those there PC type deelio's. Cheers for your help though man, much appreciated :)

EDIT: Eek, I've just noticed one BIG BIG flaw - No Midi In. I was gonna get it and in the future get an extra MIDI controller (like the Behringer BCR2000) and hook the two up together, but it looks like that ain't gonna be possible. Mr. ~ism, cheers for the offer dude, I think I'm gonna have to leave it though...

So I guess I'll stick with my super ol' skool Soundblaster Extigy at the mo. and get that Behringer and THEN when I have a bit more money's I'll get me something like the Ozone but with a MIDI IN too.

EDIT2: Ooh, it seems like the BCR2000 has got USB input so I'd be able to still have the original plan. So if I set up something like below (scuse the old skool The Anarchy Cookbook ASCII type diagram) would everything talk to everything properly (i.e. I could use a separate MIDI device plugged into the BCR if I wished later, tweak controls on the BCR and they'd talk to MIDI controls on the Ozone etc. or would this cause MIDI data to go right up the spout):

Oh my word. It looks like my uber-old Extigy happily supports multple-outs when using it with ASIO4ALL, well I never. Well that'll sure save me a few pennies then.

Huzzah.

Guest skytree

woo! glad you got it figured out, pete. strange that the ozone doesn't have any MIDI-ins...that's a bit ridiculous, really. seems like you found a good workaround with the behringer's USB interface though!

Archived