IGNORED

My audio interface won't record

Atari Tech

since my old audio interface stopped working (it had problems iwth the headphone jack) i bought a novation speedio, m problem is is that it won't record my micron. as a midi interface it works fine but whenever try to record audio into it, it either works fine for 10 seconds and then starts playing very loud white noise until i turn off the outputs, i tried audacity and thats even worse as if i try to record it crashes my computer. I contacted both novation and used the FL studio support forums and novation said it was not a hardware fault, and image line said that it was not a prblem with the software. novation siad that it mgiht be a software issue, but i reinstalled the newest drivers (and got rid of the old ones) tried different buffer settings and tried asioforall and it still happens. so is there a solution? and if not should i

1) Buy a new soundcard for recording my micron?

or

2) Keep the Speedio as an midi an audio interface, use my micron solely as a midi controller, and find a vst that can cover the rolandish modern sounds that i use my micron for (i'm looking at the predator for this because i head that it has a very low cpu usage rate)?

Guest feta lol

is the noise happening after a recording and you dont hear it when it is actually recording, or do you hear it while you are monitoring your recroding?

I hear it while i'm recording, in the recording itself, and even when i'm jsut monitoring the synth through the audio in's in fl studio

is the noise happening after a recording and you dont hear it when it is actually recording, or do you hear it while you are monitoring your recroding?

Guest feta lol

a. why are you recording in fl studio?

b. certain interfaces are not compatible with certain programs. im not sure if these are or arent but maybe you should try picking up cubase or sony soundforge. those two seem to be the most universal, imo.

I tried Recording in audacity as well and that just caused my computer to crash,

a. why are you recording in fl studio?

b. certain interfaces are not compatible with certain programs. im not sure if these are or arent but maybe you should try picking up cubase or sony soundforge. those two seem to be the most universal, imo.

-Hmmm... In the console view for your interface un-mute the input and listen to it on its own. Is it still very distorted?

-Are you running just this audio driver?

-Do the asio settings match up with your FL or audacity settings?

-Does the micron have any funny outputs/output switches? (or the novation, what sorts of inputs does it have).

-By distorted do you mean clipping?

Answer these questions for to narrow down your problem. Im guessing its the settings in the software maybe. But it could be a major hardware failure. Post some sound examples.

-Hmmm... In the console view for your interface un-mute the input and listen to it on its own. Is it still very distorted?

when i just listen to the input in the speedio it sounds perfectly normal.

-Are you running just this audio driver?

yes and i tried both the newest driver by novation and the driver for asio4all

-Do the asio settings match up with your FL or audacity settings?

yes, fl automaticly goes with what the asio setup is (and i tweaked both into many idfferent combontions.

-Does the micron have any funny outputs/output switches? (or the novation, what sorts of inputs does it have).

no just the two out puts, the novation has to audio inputs that seem to be a combo xlr/mic/1/4 inputs

-By distorted do you mean clipping?

no it osundsnormal for aobut ten seconds and then you jst get this extremly loud burst of white nois (like when you turn a television set to a channel that isn;t coming in)

Answer these questions for to narrow down your problem. Im guessing its the settings in the software maybe. But it could be a major hardware failure. Post some sound examples.

Sounds tricky..... Im not sure. Ill think about it.

EDIT: So yeah. are you running XP? Also, seeing as the soundcard on its own is not making these problems I would Install some other recording software demos to see if they work better than FL studio. I doubt they will, but its worth a try.

Guest feta lol

well i can say that the white noise may be from your computer running too many processes. this will happen to me (short bursts of white noise) when i have too many applications open and my computer is trying to play catch up.

That wouldn't be the case because it effects the recorded sound as well. Which is very strange, so its happening within the soundcard, or its destructively distorting it within FL Studio. Both of which are equally bizarre. See if you can get wavosaur or reaper to record successfully. Both of which are shareware/freeware. CPU strain or RAM issues shouldn't effect the integrity of a recording at all.

Guest feta lol
That wouldn't be the case because it effects the recorded sound as well. Which is very strange, so its happening within the soundcard, or its destructively distorting it within FL Studio. Both of which are equally bizarre. See if you can get wavosaur or reaper to record successfully. Both of which are shareware/freeware. CPU strain or RAM issues shouldn't effect the integrity of a recording at all.

oh i didnt know that. thanks for the info. i guess i can keep playing/recording when this shit happens. ive always started over.

Archived