IGNORED

Speakers to use on stage.

plastic

Ok so a lot of the places that I would play a show don't have a PA, and some do. I don't know what size/wattage would be good for a setting that doesn't have a PA (mind you there are generally small venues, or outside). For places with a PA I would use these speakers as monitors instead.

I also don't know what brands sound good. Please give me some place to start! I'm tired of lugging around a reciever/amp and home audio speakers to shows.

Thanks for any help

D

Guest welcome to the machine

well, if you just wan't to be able to play you're tunes out when you have no in-venue pa, you can get a peavey with a 1000w amp/mixer with a monitor and two speakers for 800 ish. you can easily upgrade a speaker config like this with a pair of low-end speakers or more mids if you want. if you wan't things to sound REALLY good then you'll need something high end like a mackie etc. but they cost $

i'd advise hiring out pa's for unsupplied gigs, it doesn't cost much, try out different configs, and if you feel you'ld make a saving by buying one then you can make a more informed decision after playuing through the various configs on offer!

o

get a pair of powered cabs - like Mackie SRM350s.

or cheap shit like Wharfedale EVP-XP or EV SX300s.

a pair plus a cheap mixer is all you need.

Cool thanks for all the suggestions guys!

~ism, I already have a mixer, so I'm all set there. Those Mackie's look pretty tasty... we'll have to see how my budget holds up though.

I'm somewhat weary of peavy systems. From what I've heard and personal experience tells me the sound quality isn't that great, but how much does that really matter when you're out playing shows? I know it matters less than in the studio... oh yeah, and good suggestion on the renting to try the shit out, machine!

I'll read up on those jbl's too.

fuck, if i was in that situation i'd buy a 100,000 watt sound system and destroy the place with a beautiful synth melody

err... which situation was that?

(if i was) doing gigs and having to bring my own soundsystem.

but i was drunk, ignore.

Guest welcome to the machine
I'm somewhat weary of peavy systems. From what I've heard and personal experience tells me the sound quality isn't that great, but how much does that really matter when you're out playing shows? I know it matters less than in the studio... oh yeah, and good suggestion on the renting to try the shit out, machine!

no, there not great, but there cheap, thats why i suggested them :wink2:

if you're playing out i think the sort of venues where high audio quality is important would have there own pa, for venues that don't i think a cheaper system would be fine!

no, there not great, but there cheap, thats why i suggested them :wink2:

if you're playing out i think the sort of venues where high audio quality is important would have there own pa, for venues that don't i think a cheaper system would be fine!

good point there :ok:

Archived