IGNORED

I'd like to buy the right mic

Guest meneedit

Guest meneedit

Hey all,

I want to buy a really good mic for recording vocals as well as a pop filter.

I'm looking at spending $300 AUD. I am aware that most good microphones cost more than that but that is all I can afford.

I'm also wondering if microphones have improved over the years. It's just that every mic that I have used has been very bass sensitive.

I would like to also buy a mic suited to recording from instruments e.g. Flutes, acoustic guitars, etc... so if you lot could recommend a mic for that I would also be reeeeeally happy

Thank you very much

P.S

could somebody please tell me if there are special recording techniques for recording from wind instruments?

Thanks again.

Guest analogue wings
I'm also wondering if microphones have improved over the years. It's just that every mic that I have used has been very bass sensitive.

Sounds like you have been using dynamic mikes. They tend to have lumpy bass and it gets worse the cheaper you go. You won't get that with a condenser mike.

I would like to also buy a mic suited to recording from instruments e.g. Flutes, acoustic guitars, etc... so if you lot could recommend a mic for that I would also be reeeeeally happy

could somebody please tell me if there are special recording techniques for recording from wind instruments?

Once again, your large diaphragm condenser mike (eg Studio Projects B1) will be ideal here.

Mike techniques for wind - experiment. E.g. close to the mouth for raw 70's jazz flute with lots of breath noise, further down for cleaner sounds.

For brass, stick a Shure SM57 (dynamic) directly in front of the bell, about 2 feet back.

Large diaphragm condensor all the way.

AT4040 or AT4030 are good cheap ones.

I've used a AKG C414 on vocals and quite liked it but I'm not sure others would agree. They are amazing for instruments though. Hella expensive though i think.

I've heard good things about the Studio Project condensors but never used them personally. Another cheaper alternative would be something like the SE Electronics SE220A or one of that range.

I've always preferred using a dynamic mic like a Sennheiser MD441 on brass rather than a SM57...but they can be quite expensive too. (I think the MD421 might be cheaper)

Guest analogue wings

I've heard bad things about Rode but never tried them myself.

My mate is at engineer school right now and he said he's heard of a mike that's even better value than Studio Projects. Will ask him what they're called.

Guest welcome to the machine
I've heard bad things about Rode but never tried them myself.

My mate is at engineer school right now and he said he's heard of a mike that's even better value than Studio Projects. Will ask him what they're called.

yeah ive heard bad things too but i quite like mine, its really quiet and a big upgrade on the nt1. it wont add anything nice to a sound but it is clear and airy enough for most jobs. Ive found it slightly unnatural when used on bass heavy instruments, especially double bass, but not in a bad way, it just seems to be a little oversensitive down there.

the higher end stuff of theirs i'm not too impressed with, there ok but you can do allot better for the same price, IMO

Archived