IGNORED

no ms-20's on eBAY...

YEK

Guest Laughable Butane Bob

mint? a steal at 1200

I check them on Ebay constantly, and I've seen them go higher than 1600

The best time to get one is when some guy is selling it cheap because some of the keys are broken.

An MS-20 is not what I'd called indespensible, they're pretty niche gear. Semi-modular monophonic, I mean there's only so much flexibility you're going to get with one. Factor in the cost and it's really paying alot just to get that "MS-20" sound (which all comes from the filter, which had a design flaw that varied the resonance amount slightly during changes to the input gain, which gives it that "glassy" sound). I mean $1200 - 1600 and you could get a nice analog modular started and have room to expand however far you want. MOTM makes a filter module that's a direct copy of the MS-20 design and has the same sound (they also make GX-1 filter modules and CS-80, as well as other unique filter designs). Also bear in mind that the MS-20 has no MIDI, and I don't know for sure but I beleive Korg used an uncommon standard for CV/Gate so it may be tricky to even do MIDI/CV with it, but that Im not sure of. Just some food for thought!

Guest analogue wings

You don't see them on eBay because people don't sell them.

Also, they are the hip thing for indie bands right now. Including The Fall!

shite, i had no idea they were going for so much.

i'm setting up a small studio based around an mpc and all i need it for is sampling..... broken keys, shit, whatever.. i need some help though cause all i know about vintage gear is names like ARP and MOOG and those are out of my price range. i'd rather not spend over a grand. could i buy something obscure and broken for 500-1000 off ebay??

could i buy something obscure and broken for 500-1000 off ebay??

roland sh 09 - nice bass synth and usually goes for under 500 on ebay

MaxiKorg 800dv - overlooked duophonic/monophonic synth... I once had a chance of getting it for 300.

YAMAHA CS series - most of those synth, with the exeption of the cs-80, go for under 1000 if you look hard enough. I'm still pissed about missing out on getting a cs-60 for $700.

I've heard good things about siel synths and the cheap sequential circuits synths.

go to vintagesynth.com and read up on those synths and look for demo videos on youtube.

the sh 09 looks really nice. can you use it's filter to shape other sounds. err, inputted sounds? i'm looking for a synth that can do that. the cs series looks nice too so i must ask if their filters/ setups can allow that too >?

which do you think is the better synth the sh 09 or the cheaper cs's ? . these seem to be what i'm looking for thankyou monsiour x

you could always get the korg legacy hardware and software.. they have a input sound on the hardware but you have to use the stand-alone version of the ms-20 and put the sound though your soundcard in order to use all the oscillators and stuff.. i couldnt really get it to work all that well

but all in all i enjoyed the legacy ms-20 as you basically have a vst ms-20 and you can get some pretty intresting stuff out of it.. but then again its only a vst of a korg ms-20 and i know what i would rather do.. just wait it out and buy a ms-10/20

the sh 09 looks really nice. can you use it's filter to shape other sounds. err, inputted sounds? i'm looking for a synth that can do that.

yea, it has external audio-in,but the synth has only 1 low-pass filter and 1 lfo. Like i said before, it's a nice bass synth, so don't expect to do any crazy audio processing. If you're looking for a synth that shapes inputted audio, then a nord modular g2 might be something to look into. It has 4 audio-ins and large amount of fxs that can be used to process audio.

Archived