IGNORED

I just made a website

Guest 1KB

Guest disco_epilepsy

i just bought a years worth of hosting and a domain from dreamhost for about $13AUD (which is a very, very good price in my opinion) i'm going to host my music on it once i get dreamweaver learnt and sorted, only i cannot think of a design for it!

so, what do you guys think would be best for a music webpage? a simple site with nothing but text links? massive flash things? a CMS of some sort? i honestly can't decide/don't know so help me out here please

the site is http://www.1kbmusic.net - at the moment it has some mp3s on it which you can listen to if you want but i'm not too worried about that

(if this doesnt belong in EKT feel free to move it)

Guest androne

i would think relatively simple, but not plain text, i get bored with plain text sites too quickly, if theres something to look at or read while i listen to the music then id be more apt to stick around a bit longer, listen to some more tracks.

Guest mushroom

You're the guy who made the p168 page, right? You know, the page that doesn't let you get past the splash page without Flash 8, which isn't available for Linux yet?

Guest disco_epilepsy
DONT use flash for a music site

simple good

like rephlex

i'll probably do something like rephlex but with a few more pages - i don't really like how the rephlex site is set up, with almost everything on one page

once i figure out how to use dreamweaver i'm sure some ideas will come to me

You're the guy who made the p168 page, right? You know, the page that doesn't let you get past the splash page without Flash 8, which isn't available for Linux yet?

true, I will change that when I get a minute

it's supposed to be Flash Detection in that page, I give up with Flash detection

i like simple sites, simple = best

i know what you mean. i was thinking about simplifying my site. easy to navigate and easy for the user to get what they want = best for sure

edit: i like rephlex's site, that sorta deal

my main problem with flash mp3 sites is you can't right click save as

yeah it pisses me off, hey raffe you should look into running 168 site with a database, might be less hassle in the long run..

my main problem with flash mp3 sites is you can't right click save as

yeah it pisses me off, hey raffe you should look into running 168 site with a database, might be less hassle in the long run..

My php knowledge is limited

what aspect of the site do you think will benefit from a database?

the task of adding all the entries would be alot easier and sortable in any way you need etc..

yeah probably, but by the time I entered all the information in it would be just the same as duplicating HTML files and entering the info that way

I might look into it later this year

once its all setup its alot quicker than doing it the manual way, endless possibilities m8, something to look into anyway..
Are you a database coder? If the site was 100% flash I'd have no problem doing that. But I hate Flash. I hate everything at the moment.

anyway, sorry disco - thread hijack

Archived