IGNORED

Total Steve Reich rip off for fun

Title says it all, just a big Steve Reich ripoff because I felt like it. Very minimal. Download if you like 7 minute songs with only 3 true harmonic changes (although the phasing psychoacoustically tricks you into thinking the pitch changes slightly at various times).

Grab it here

Guest awkward

i want to support this thread.

we need less breaks around here and more experimental music.

this is a pretty fun listen too. i was expecting a MF18M rip off but borrowed his idea more than his sound.

yah well it only took me about 30 minutes to put together and most of that was playing around with how many times to let the patterns run.

the reverb is altiverb, set to Mechanics Hall in Worcester (where I live, actually). Supposedly it has the best natural acoustics of any concert hall in the world.

And yeah, the phasing and minimalism are about all it shares in common, I was just screwing around with it for fun, because I love the sound of phased loops, and have loved the idea of phasing, ever since I was kid. I used to stare at the 2 VCR's we had, which were always blinking "12:00" for the time, and because they were different models, I would stare at them for long periods of time watching the blinking go in phase and out of phase.

• 1 month later...

awww yea, thought this was awesome. dug it. :sorcerer:

have you tried slowing it down? or maybe a lower pitch? not saying it'll be better, but could be neat to try to see how it sounds

heh, I just listened to this again since I posted it, I think the best part of phased loops is the craziness that emerges from "underneath" the sound. Like instead of hearing piano notes your mind ends up paying more attention to the "negative" space. Like it ends up sounding like a droning cello alongside the piano.

Really really liked the piece and the concept. Does indeed remind me a lot of Piano Phase. Although I really enjoyed the first and last third the best.

Didn't like the choice of piano sound or effects. I would be pleased to listen to this for ten or fifteen minutes no problem, but if it were I, I would probably have done a bit more with effects and eq to give it both a warmer sound and the illusion of a large variation of timbres.

Guest Glass Plate

ah, the piano tone by it's self sounds a bit cheesey, but other than that it's quite fun.

keep experimenting, it's the best.

Archived