IGNORED

Solid Stance

Guest Rogueofmv

Well MP3 is suitable for perfectly gapless playback but both your player and the codec used should support it. So it's either your player, or you got ripped off and bought shitty MP3s, in which case I would also choose FLAC just because the gaps are totally unacceptable.

Yeah, it's because my iPod is old - line out audio quality is excellent, but the gaps are irritating. Not a format shortcoming.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to try, and fail to ABX the MP3s from the FLACs, would you still be enjoying the FLAC more afterwards? Would you still waste the money/disk space for it? I know I wouldn't, but I guess it's understandable if having lossless gives you peace of mind.

A well reasoned argument - and I work as a scientist and I fully understand the logic of ABX, and my rational mind says that kind of test is what would stand up in the literature. I find it hard to defend SACD or DVD-A because it's pretty unlikely that in my late 30s I hear anything past 17kHz anyway. But this is not just about perception thresholds, it's a subjective experience as well, and ABX objectivity struggles to capture that. Listening to Fol3 and experiencing the incredible texture of the sound was subjectively another level to the MP3 experience. Of course the conditions weren't matched, and I don't have the rig nor the time for ABX, but I have a feeling that freeform digital noise sculpting wasn't exactly the target that the Fraunhofer guys were aiming for in developing MP3. Usually, 99% of the time, I would say 320kbps MP3 is (indistinguishably) close to perfect, but as I originally posted, I think this might be one instance where it's not.

most music sounds relatively indistinguishable when it comes to mp3 vs flac, but play anything with the many many high frequencies and it sounds a world apart, so instead of ABX'ing yourself with SAW, ABX yourself with Merzbow.

most music sounds relatively indistinguishable when it comes to mp3 vs flac, but play anything with the many many high frequencies and it sounds a world apart, so instead of ABX'ing yourself with SAW, ABX yourself with Merzbow.

true! i was about to download this massive MErzbow torrent once and i checked the nfo file of the torrent first and it said 'since this all noise i encoded it down to 128kbps, you're not missing much with noise music!' and i seriously wanted to punch the guy through the computer. Not surprisingly things like Merzbow or any harsh high frequency white noise will be seriously audibly altered even by some 320kbps encoders.

Archived