IGNORED

Cabaret Voltaire are Back

Guest analogue wings

Guest analogue wings

http://www.myspace.com/shivarecordsltd

I’ve always loved Cabaret Voltaire, they’ve always had a real air of mystery about them and seem to have remained one pace ahead of everyone else over the years. They’ve often remained under rated, probably because they were ahead of their time and only now are people seeing them for the innovators they really were. Unfortunately Kora! Kora! Kora! isn’t a brand new album from the boys, but it is a mighty fine project that they have brought their own unique influence to bear on. The tracks are actually reworkings / remixes / cut ups / loops…call them what you want, of Kora tracks, the Maori dub star. You get seven tracks, which isn’t a huge number but they are all exceptionally well done and very diverse. The opener Skankenstein sounds like an industrial electro track, where as Flow is far more dubby. As with any CV album it has a certain darkness running throughout, but the tracks do have soulful moments where the original vocals shine through making it a pleasing and surprising album that shouldn’t disappoint fans of either artis

Kora is a New Zealand act that plays what is derisively termed "BBQ Dub" - basically very straight, conservative, roots reggae that for better or worse pretends it's still 1979 and Bob's still alive. New Zealand's legions of sandal wearing pot smoking hippies eat the shit up that's for sure.

Personally, I'm ambivalent on this BBQ sound. There are certainly some very accomplished artists, but it just seems a bit sad to me that they are ignoring 30 years of Jamaican music history and living in some idealised bubble of what Jamaican music "should" sound like, rather than allowing themselves to be influenced by what it actually does sound like. It probably doesnt help that most of my favourite Jamaican music was made in the last 30 years.

But hey, Cabaret Voltaire!

Um.

Guest JohnTqs
ambivalent

whoa

There are certainly some very accomplished artists, but it just seems a bit sad to me that they are ignoring 30 years of Jamaican music history and living in some idealised bubble of what Jamaican music "should" sound like, rather than allowing themselves to be influenced by what it actually does sound like.

maybe they are just exploring the roots of jamaican music. i didn't read anything that said they feel their music is what jamaican music should sound like, like you said.

Guest JohnTqs

so anyone who plays jazz is an asshole?

i'm with you though i don't enjoy reggae at all. although a little bit of bob marley now and then is good. but i'm not gonna go down to the mall and buy a red yellow and green t-shirt with bob smoking a j on it

cabaret voltaire are awesome. i love their music, but i'm rather confused about this new sound. too close to the mainstream for being original but very well produced. it just doesn't sound like cabaret voltaire to me...not enough darkness... Kora burning reminds me of UNKLE, and i don't like that TBH...

i'll give it another try later though. they sure deserve it.

• 1 year later...

It's actually only Richard H. Kirk that's behind this remix as he owns the rights to the CV name now. As his work goes the Kora release is pretty poor.

He's also recently done a similar remix for The Tivoli a Rotherham indie band.

If you want CV-related dub try Kirk's Sandoz in Dub - Chant to Jah it's far better

e.g. Straight Forward Rsta

Both the CV remix projects ( both on Shiva Records) are available from eMusic if you subscribe...

Archived