IGNORED

Genre me up bad boy

mcbpete

Sub-genre spotters, lend me your ears.

I'm trying to find a specific sub genre of Techno (erm, or possibly House). Basically its tracks that build up in a similar way that they do on Rez where the melody and or beats build up a bit at a time until it all goes big and awesome. Possibly progressive techno, tech house, I dunno?

There's a couple of tracks on Boomkat that are pretty much what I'm after -

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=171397 -> Amé - Fiori (both versions)

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=167257 -> Maxime Mille - Runner's High (the first two tracks)

(ooh and also, the way that Richie Hawtin DE9 mix album builds up too)

Basically techno tracks that build up progressively with more and more complex layers with quite a strong melodic structure.

Anyone got any ideas of awesome releases that would fall into this genre ???

Guest Ominous

The first one I thought of was Holden remix of "The Sky was Pink"a little too overplayed nowadays though.

Here's one more: Marc Romboy - Sonora (Patrice Baumel remix)

I don't think there's a specific subgenre for this; but I'm a little bit out of the loop...I'd call them.. tracks that have the "I feel love" structure.

Guest 277: 930-933

A lot of (can't help the name) Neotrance is like this.

So stuff on Border Community.

Minilogue

Maybe Robert Babicz?

Joris Voorn?

Some of Michael Mayers stuff...

It's kind of difficult because, as you probably already found out, it's usually just a few releases by one artist that meet these criteria, their other output can be completely different.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of (it's a shame the preview stops before it really kicks in).

277: 930-933 - Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give your suggestions a listen and yeah you're right, it seems like you'd get one track on the album that follows the progressive style but everything else would be like straight techno or some cheesy house/trance hybrid.

Without listening to any of the tracks mentioned, it sounds like you're talking about progressive house. You answered your own question in your first post when you said "tracks that build up progressively with more and more complex layers".

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I've listened to some progressive house mix sets over the last few days and it's kind of what I like but I think the House side of the genre is what turns me off slightly - In a lot of the tracks I heard it was quite cheesy/trance-esque. Although I really like the strong melodies, I think what I'm after is more clinical / Techno sounding in nature. Is there like a Progressive Techno, and if so who's a good artist to look at

Another album I've heard that fits my top post is Speedy J - Loudboxer

Guest IRARI
I'm trying to find a specific sub genre of Techno (erm, or possibly House). Basically its tracks that build up in a similar way that they do on Rez where the melody and or beats build up a bit at a time until it all goes big and awesome. Possibly progressive techno, tech house, I dunno?

are you referring to the game rez or the underworld track

The game, although funnily enough the reason the game was called Rez is that they used Underworld's track to prototype the engine of the game:

Archived