IGNORED

red dwarf: back to earth

Guest bitroast

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest melotronic

i actually much preferred tonight's one, maybe just cos i prefer the whole "meta" comedy thing (like the league of gentlemen film) to sci-fi. although i enjoyed the self-referential sci-fi nerd stuff. more funnies in this episode too it seemed to me, although still not as consistent as the first few series. really liked rimmer's "neurotic" rant

their references to series 9 and 10 kept wigging me out though cos i was high :dizzy:

also one bit i really disliked was all this richard curtis style shit with the children on the bus talking goo to lister

Guest bitroast

not a fan of the second ep!

the references to seasons 9 and 10 didnt even make sense as they were back on todays earth where Red Dwarf: Back To Earth was about to air on telly, and there is no season 9 and 10. did they even think that through or is this sposed to be some slightly alternate reality where there is a season 9 and 10. whatever, just sounds like they didnt think it through.

Guest Stoppit

I've only watched the first episode so far..It was better than I expected (I had extremely low expectations though).

The big tentacle monster just made me want to watch 'Back to Reality' (the one with the suicide squid), which is one of the best episodes ever.

Guest bitroast

been thinking about it more and i am now REALLY disapointed with Back to Earth :(

seriously now, the writer's don't know what they're doing. if they wanted to do a back to earth episode, it should've been along the lines of them entering some intergalactic portal and returning back to the earth lister came from. everyones super happy and they get indian food and beers to celebrate. they get nicely drunk and remember they've forgotten something back on the ship (or something that results in them going back onboard red dwarf for a brief moment). in an act of drunken silliness they accidently smeg things up and are sent right back into deep space. they wake up the next morning, hungover, remember what happened and try and eat their own hand. episode ends with them piss farting about in deep space and the text The End appears, in reference to the first episode.

the only reason they wouldnt wanna do this obviously awesome episode is because it'd be totally awesome and all the fans would love it and they'd make lots and lots of money, and then theyd be offered to make more episodes and movies and shit, despite having officially ended the show with the perfect ending. this would cause them to be upset and confused and instead they make shit episodes which everyone hates.

Guest Caustic

i'm more disappointed because i watched Robert Llewellyn hype it up for months on his youtube channel.

made it even more of a let down. but i still have faith in the Dwarf boys, lets see where episode 3 goes. :ok:

Guest bitroast

dude. part 2 had no jokes or anything. it was practically just sucking their own ass for half an hour giving the fanbase all this praise and saying how great the show is. ontop of that, they pathetically made multiple references to seasons 9 and 10, asif to say COME ON, WE STILL GOT MORE IN US. and then, when they werent sucking their own ass, they managed to suck Dave's ass a little too, in some lame cringeworthy attempt to make them happy and get more money and make more crappy episodes. it was just all terrible and wrong. this aside, none of it was either any funny and blah.

i'm sorry. i wasn't expecting much from these specials. i'm a real sucker for the older episodes and was looking forward to watching Back to Earth but ultimately expecting it to be poor. it just hurts though, to watch it get this low.

Guest Caustic

alright, i cave.

this show is pretty fucking dire.

like i said, all the self-referencing bullshit seems like a total cop-out in terms of writing/humour.

and is it just me, or does the lack of laugh track make it even worse?

atleast when something wasn't funny in the older series, there were dubbed laughs to fill the void.

now every joke warrants a sly "heh" and an awkward look around the room.

dfjghdjsdhf it's terrible.

i can't imagine whats going down on RD fan forums.

Guest bitroast

the cast said how they found it hard to perform without a live audience. which means, less comedy chemistry results in less funny moments. so now we have an unfunny performance that doesnt even have a laugh track to slightly help us out with finding the show funny.

i know this is just my opinion against those who worked on this show (here's looking at you Doug naylor) but i'm really unhappy with the direction they've taken the show. i've talken to my bro and a friend, we're all large dwarf fans and we all agree about the quality of these new episodes.

Guest oxynucid

i daren't watch the 2nd episode now - i feel it may make me very angry

cmon we all knew it was gonna be shit? right?

:x

Guest bitroast

oh for sure. but it's not asif i could just not watch it.

i'm a fan, thats what fans do. watch new episodes, not like them and get angry. then get excited when more new episodes come out, watch them, not like them and get angry.

Guest melotronic

is the laugh track absence something the crew decided on or did dave (the channel) insist on it or whatever? would make a difference i think, especially if the crew's performances suffered.

episode 3 is gonna be the clincher, either way it's apparent that robert lleweyn should have stuck to scrapheap challenge

Guest bitroast

i think it was the writers/producers choice. lleweyn said it was because of budget restraints. they did the same thing with season 7, they wanted to knock the production of the show up and have better effects and proper sets with multiple cameras, which meant it wasnt infront of an audience, but a laugh track was added in post production anyway.

Guest Caustic

wait a minute, how did they not have the "budget" to copy/paste some stock laughs in post-production?

that makes no sense.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

i watched ep 1 and i enjoyed it. i did miss the audience, and it seemed too clean in hd.

after what ive read im not sure if ill watch ep2.

i reckon ill always compare it to previous series -- well not the last 2 or so as i didnt watch them -- and because red dwarf is one of those cherished programmes from my youth im not sure if ill ever be able to give it a fair review.

i may just watch the old ones (the ones before kochanski anyway) instead.

Guest bitroast

aw man, dont let my negative comments stopping you from watching it. i mean, it might still appeal to some people and you might not mind it.

(although you're not giving seasons 7 or 8 much respect so you're at least on same level as me on that on that one)

Guest melotronic

i reckon it's worth giving episode 2 a watch just cos it's so different from the first - and i too dislike series 7 + 8... meh, up to you. it's a subjective thing, obviously...

episode 1 was completely unfunny. episode 2 is sliightly funny for the fact it's taking the piss out of red dwarf fans.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

is episode 3 on tonight? i thought it was on 3 fridays in a row. i missed ep2. not watched one yet.

its odd how caustic and pigster changed their opinions from page 1 to page 2

Guest lullezucht

episode 1 was completely unfunny. episode 2 is slightly funny for the fact it's taking the piss out of red dwarf fans.

Guest Caustic
is episode 3 on tonight? i thought it was on 3 fridays in a row. i missed ep2. not watched one yet.

page 1 = episode 1

page 2 = episode 2

madness eh?

to be honest, i liked the ending. wasn't expecting another despair squid.

tied up the plot nicely but that doesn't make the writing as unfunny as it was.

typewriter bit was hilarious though.

overall: great idea, mostly shit writing.

3/5

Guest melotronic

uhh, mm. it was alright, i kind of half-liked episode 3 and half didnt: it got slightly hokey for my liking and there wasn't really any concrete result or enough... punchiness in general. sort of floated along a bit aimlessly. nice plotline though, and i agree with what caustic said basically.

although i didnt like the typewriter bit at all, and the whole creator character/ideas annoyed the shit out of me.

the little golden squids were mad cool though

as a whole: it wasn't dire, just lacking. basically everything good that happened in it is stuff the league of gentlemen have done better. and the writing could have benefitted from a. rob grant and b. a laugh track (since it was weak enough to need one). i think the most telling problem is watching this new mini-series has made me want to watch series 8 again, a desire i haven't experienced ever before lol. i guess the similar sort of humour just set me up for disappointment.

anyway well done to them for bringing it back, could have been much much more of a mess. at least it stopped chris barrie being in any more absolutely rancid tomb raider films

Guest bitroast

lulz, was thinking last night how parts 1 and 2 were paralleling Back To Reality, but totally doubting that they would actually do the same episode twice. seriously now, they've had 10 years since the last episode, 10 years to write something new and come up with something original, and they cant even do that. the entire plot was just copy and paste from a previous episode. slow fucken clap for doug fucken naylor. :mellow:

oh well. whatever. i wasn't expecting to enjoy it anyway :)

Guest oxynucid

i did end up watching episode 2, just to see how bad it is

and i think its worth people seeing, just so they know, how bad it can really be

the referencing dave, red dwarf and bladerunner every 5 minutes is just embarassing

i haven't seen episode 3 yeyt, but i feel that i have to now,

so they are going to go and see their real life selfs???

craig charles, smacked up in a flat somewhere and danny j-j stabbing up a binman???

:x

oh and either series 9 and 10 is going to be made

or there will be a plot twist where they stop production

Archived