IGNORED

Making music with a commercial incentive

Guest joshier

Guest joshier

Hi

I don't really make music, I play around with it when I want because I find it fun. Recently I saw this little record label and you could upload your track(s). I didn't think much of it and went ahead to upload one track. I got an email back a week later saying pretty much 'I didn't like this particular track but I'd like to hear others if you have some'.

I've never had any incentive like this before to use my "music" for commercial/publishing purpose. I think I'm pretty amateur, though listening to some of the approved tracks on that label, I think I could do a bit better.

I always rise up to the challenge if someone says you can't do it. One of the best tracks (in my opinion) I've made was when the track in question was for someone else...

So my question is, have any of you had any commercial incentive? If so, is it good or bad? and why?

Thanks.

Guest Xellos

I have always been striving for my music to be on par with record label's standards for publishing. If I ever reach that goal I would probably research labels and contact a few.

If they like your music I would go ahead and release something.

Guest joshier

I think the psychological aspect of a healthy viewpoint to reflect back on the skills of others and then project that on your own work is a good one, but I also think it can be detrimental as it might be easy to fall into making music that you've referenced from other peoples techniques so it is overall less original. Still, I don't think there's any harm in knowing some basic music theory, how a song is structured and so on..

Archived