IGNORED

how to get rid of this?

qnio

have you people experienced that weird having-water-in-your-ears sensation after listening to dry, raw, unfiltered, saw or square waves? you take away your headphones and it's like everything sounds distorted (voice especially). it's pretty annoying and, my guess, harmful for your ears. i know the most obvious answer is to apply some sort of filter to cut out high frequencies, but is there some name for this? and which frequency causes it?

Guest David R James

I would give up listening to music in headphones too much because it will end up fucking up your hearing just as much as going to gigs without ear protection.

Guest Iain C

That too. What you're hearing is probably some form of hearing damage, welcome to TINNITUS CITY. Tinnitus really stinks.

Guest joshier

you can get short term tinnitus, don't worry but make sure you listen to your body's signals - it's a warning that f you carry on listening to the music level you do - you will get tinnitus permanently (if it is that).

even if it isn't tinnitus, it should be a lesson to quiet down your listening due to hearing damage.

tinnitus can get so bad people killing their selves. there are fixes for it, however but no point getting it in the first place.

Guest esquimaw

Fuck yeah, it's well annoying.

My thinking is that it's related to tinnitus and hyperacusis. I used to get it quite badly after playing a couple of gigs with a noise ensemble, but then I gave my ears a good long break from producing and general loud noises. Now it's much better. I find that it gets worse when I'm run down, dehydrated or otherwise tired. Static unfiltered tones are the worst though! 'Normal' noises seem to be fine. Even synths with some filter or amplitude movement to them are not so much a problem. I know exactly what you mean about the water in the ears thing, it's exactly like that.

I also find I have really sensitive ears in the morning when I sleep in late. I think that's something to do with grinding my teeth though. My girlfriend tends to sneeze a lot in the morning for some reason, and I find that really quite painful. I have to put my fingers in my ears.

Damn bodies and health and shit. I'd upload myself into a android metal casing in an instant if I could. Less maintenance. Just stay lubricated.

So in short, take a good break (3 months or so) from producing and moderate to loud listening of any type. Eat and drink the right stuff and get plenty of sleep. Improved things a lot for me. Best of luck.

crt TV screens fuck me up. Anyone noticed this before? Any normal TV that's not a flat screen makes this really really high pitched noise (like in the 15-16k range) and makes my ears ring horribly for several hours afterwards. When my girl friend watches TV I have to leave the room. I can also tell from several rooms away if someone has a TV on even if it's volume is all the way down.

Guest esquimaw

it's not hard to stay healthy and treat your body with respect! metal would corrode, skin regenerates.

Skin regenerates, ears do not. Once you've got tinnitus, that's it. From then on it's damage limitation.

Imagine how mental having electronically implanted flat response hearing would be. The world would be a pretty scary place. Constant low rumbles everywhere.

Guest welcome to the machine

it's not hard to stay healthy and treat your body with respect! metal would corrode, skin regenerates.

Skin regenerates, ears do not. Once you've got tinnitus, that's it. From then on it's damage limitation.

Imagine how mental having electronically implanted flat response hearing would be. The world would be a pretty scary place. Constant low rumbles everywhere.

yeah, exactly, take care of your ears. They are so delicate.

Have you looked into getting some good earplugs? The real good ones are pricey but then again, £200 is not a lot to pay for protecting your ears and hence your enjoyment of music for a lifetime! considering you can easily spend that on cables, and other boring bits and bobs for a normal home studio.

failing that the cheap ish £20 ones are pretty good, they protect your ears well. I used to hate wearing them at gigs etc but then one day I realised that when I took them out everything sounded harsh and horrible, I quickly put them back in! Most soundsystems are crap and have scrachy glassy highs that soon trash your eardrums.

Sometimes really filthy ears can be a cause of pain. Hardened wax deep down in the ear canal. A syringing from the doctors is an incredible experience, the wmount you can hear after is almost unsettiling! that said if you have experienced pain then I would talk to a doctor before having it done because I have heard it can damage your ears if they are infected or slightly damaged already.

i bought an acu-life ear cleaning syringe and some drops and they work wonders but even though the syringe has had good reviews from doctors I'm always super careful about using it, and its knowhere near as good as a proffesional clean!

Guest Robotussin

i agree about it being temporary. i had some pretty nasty stuff 7 or 8 years ago and it just wore off over time. frequencies came back. i'm sure i've done some permanent damage, but the ringing has stopped completely.

so don't freak out or panic. it will probably heal. but stop what you're doing and let it heal for awhile.

Archived