IGNORED

Erstwhile Records and EAI music

spptrl alt del

Been listening to David Sylvian's Manafon a lot, more for the sounds, space, and structures than for the vocals. Curious if there are people on this board familiar with Erstwhile Records and other labels that put out 'EAI' (electro-acoustic improv) records, and if any thoughts, recommendations, or criticisms could be made here. Artists like AMM, Toshimaru Nakamura, Sachiko M, Otomo Yoshihide, and the MEGO guys (to a lesser extent) like pita and fennesz fall into this area of music. There's a lot of discussion about it on the IHM (I Hate Music) board, but not a whole lot of useful criticism.

Guest Hanratty

this music intrigues me and i always WANT to like this music. but i cant listen to it for more than 10 minutes every 2 months. closest thing for me is some fennesz. he's good, but easier listening than the rest.

this music intrigues me and i always WANT to like this music. but i cant listen to it for more than 10 minutes every 2 months. closest thing for me is some fennesz. he's good, but easier listening than the rest.

this partially sums up my experience with these sort of recordings. exceptions being duos for doris by rowe/tilbury and the manafon record, though i haven't explored much in this vein. what i've heard involving nakamura is usually kind of aggravating, tinnitus-wise.

Archived