IGNORED

Forward Motion: Trance Mix

Guest Excess

I was given the heads up from a friend to post up my mix here and see what kind of feedback I might get, so here it is!

qodjes.jpg

Forward Motion

Mixed by Excess

It's been a long time since I've promoted a mix that I've done, and I'm personally very glad I waited to put out something I was proud of. It's been hard to find time to dedicate in putting together mixes, which is the exact premise behind this one. This mix was simply exciting to complete, and I can only hope that you all share that excitement in listening.

Length: 57:55

Tracklist:

001: Inkfish & David West - Hello Piano

002: Jaytech - Sundance

003: Eric Shaw - Kill My Pain

004: Mat Zo - The Fractal Universe

005: Arnej - Ping Pong

006: Xgenic - Around Me

007: Lange - Out Of The Sky (Kyau & Albert Remix)

008: Kyau & Albert - Be There 4 U (Rafael Frost Dub)

009: Tritonal - Suede (Stoneface & Terminal Remix Edit)

010: Greg Downey - Global Code

Download: Here

I look forward to hearing any feedback or comments you might have

http://www.excessions.com for more info & past mixes

I also realize rapidshare is not exactly the most accommodating file hos, and my usual host filefront.com is giving me major uploading problems. so apologies while i put up a more suitable mirror :o

currently downloadizing

thanks, i can tell trance doesn't seem to be a popular genre here, so i appreciate the listen especially from a long time member like yourself!

and i'm about to take a run through the mix in your signature...the tracklist is awesome.

just got through the whole thing - pretty sick bro, seriously.. sick tunes - a shame it aint individual tracks tho :P

in the zip there's a cue file, you can use that to burn a cd (i use a program called Burrrn) or download a winamp plugin that plays cue files. it will turn the one mp3 into a playlist.

i gave this a good listen earlier whilst wrapping up at work. highly enjoyable. yeah trance really isn't talked about much here but i have lately enjoyed it more and more, you can always count on pristine production and a lot of big sounds. my exposure to it is pretty limited outside of a few way out west records and some sasha and some deep dish and stuff like that. i havent heard of one artist on your tracklist. but i wanted to check out your mix because trance always seems to go over well in my household-- the woman is a fan and it usually gets her moving. so we'll definitely be listening to it more and it's a treat to have something unexpected like this pop up on the forum. thanks a lot for sharing!

hmm, what about for itunes? i use a mac - any ideas? :P

hm.. the only thing i can think of is burn cd, then import cd to itunes and re-label the seperate tracks? huge pain in the butt...i can look around and try to find a more simple solution

i gave this a good listen earlier whilst wrapping up at work. highly enjoyable. yeah trance really isn't talked about much here but i have lately enjoyed it more and more, you can always count on pristine production and a lot of big sounds. my exposure to it is pretty limited outside of a few way out west records and some sasha and some deep dish and stuff like that. i havent heard of one artist on your tracklist. but i wanted to check out your mix because trance always seems to go over well in my household-- the woman is a fan and it usually gets her moving. so we'll definitely be listening to it more and it's a treat to have something unexpected like this pop up on the forum. thanks a lot for sharing!

haha your exposure is definitely towards the deeper end of trance. i think a lot of people have the misconception that there's a lot of "cheese" trance, and don't get me wrong there is. but much like any genre, with digging, you find gems. my next mix will be more geared towards the more progressive side of trance, so i look forward to hearing your feedback for that as well =]

This is a good mix. I myself am a fan of trance, and especially the kinds of trance that have deep emotion and lots of change ups. This is a good listen, though most certainly not all my cup of tea trance, but certainly a good collection!

To WATMMers giving trance a shot, I recommend:

Trance Nation America (for a good stepping stone, its more low key and not silly)

and

Superbest trance II (for the more upbeat silly stuff)

Oh and you may want to try using mediafire or yousendit for your uploads. Rapid share has an annoying countdown and also runs out of slots easily. I just tried to download the mix on my work computer to listen to in the office, and it is out of slots and not available for non-rapidshare members.

Edit: I see you have it on file front also. However you own a domain name and a website, so imagine you have some amount of storage space and data transfer. Why not just upload it there? Unless you have limited resources then that is understandable.

yeah, my webhosting supports other sites that are more demanding in bandwidth, so i try to host my mixes elsewhere. not to mention my internets have been SUCK recently, i think because of the crappy weather we're having here in NJ. i've tried putting it up on multiple other hosts but with little or no luck.

also, agreed w/ Trance Nation America as a recommended album, though once again a LOT of awesome deeper tunes. humate, cass & slide, inkfish, smith & selway, etc.

well the best way to explain would be via examples, much like any genre, trance has a ton of subgenres so to speak (even though i'm not big on specifically labeling tracks).

when i say deep i'm referring to the tracks that represent progressive tunes. though it's very easy to find tracks that can be considered progressive house OR progressive trance, depending on your outlook on it. for the most part, progressive blends the line between house & trance, slower in bpm than other subgenres of trance and made up of a more "consistent" structure (little or no break in percussion). you can check out this luke chable track for an example of what i mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=377oPdEE8HA&feature=fvw .

generally, i tend to stick to 5 labels for tracks, it's either plain old trance, tech-trance, progressive, psy, or uplifting trance. some people get silly...i've seen youtube comments calling some songs really ridiculous things like... "uplifting superpsy bootytrance"

who is trance nation america done by? i really enjoyed this compilation (im a noob when it comes to trance) so it me up with some others!!

It is a Ministry of Sound compilation mixed by Jimmy Van M

Disc: 1

1. Get 2 U - Sylvane

2. Milk (Rabbit In The Moon Remix) - Garbage

3. Body & Mind (Hyperion Remix) - Inkfish

4. Dreaming - BT7

5. Moments Of Space - Odessi

6. Subtle Thrust - Purple & Lunar

7. Indica (Vocal Mix) - Pink Bomb

8. Anomaly (Calling Your Name) - Libra Presents Taylor

9. Pumpin (Bluefish Remix) - Novy Vs. Eniac

10. Xenophobe - Taylor

Disc: 2

1. Opera (Beckett's Phantoms Only Mix) - Cass/Slide

2. Bollar I Rymden - David Roiseux

3. Klein Aber Doctor (Slipstream Original Mix) - Atmos

4. Feathers (Humate's Flying High Mix) - Spicelab

5. Dive Into The Deep - Revolt

6. Way Of Love - Jericho

7. Darker (Sin@dogstar.mix) - Brancaccio & Aisher

8. Repercussion (Funk Fuction's Melody Mix) - Science Dept.

9. Impact (Christian Smith & John Selway Remix) - Dark Palace

10. Madness (Timo Maas Remix) - Kee Mo

The first U.S. release from the influential U.K. label/dance-music collective Ministry of Sound, Trance Nation America taps the DJ talents of both U.S. coasts in the form of L.A.'s Taylor and New York's Jimmy Van M, two immensely popular mixologists who make good use of this high-profile, double-CD gig. The first disc is Taylor's show, and he wastes no time showing off the anthemic, Christopher Lawrence-esque trance that West Coast DJ's have come to specialize in. Taylor's particular bent is more elegant than most, though, successfully evoking a gentle vibe early in the set with Rabbit in the Moon's floating remix of Garbage's "Milk," and a patient, teasing version of BT's "Dreaming." He definitely does indulge his more primal rhythmic inclinations elsewhere, throwing down the gauntlet with an expertly transitioned Hyperion remix of Inkfish's "Body and Mind," and later, an incredible rendering of his own cranked-up, dance-floor thrill-ride, "Xenophobe." Jimmy Van M's mix on the second disc hovers even more delicately above the turntables, though with a darker, more minor-key vibe that illuminates the stylistic differences that arise regionally in U.S. electronic music. An overt sense of melodic repetition drives the first part of JVM's mix, exemplified in Revolt's "Dive into the Deep," and while his mix gets heavier as it goes, he never leaves that sense of delicacy completely behind. Both mixes display a mystifying ability to explore a huge amount of electronic territory, moving easily between differing rhythms and smoothing over distracting edges. In fact, Ministry of Sound, Taylor, and Jimmy Van M all succeed not only in showing trance's elastic, diverse nature, they also somehow convey the idea that while the U.S. continues to be fertile ground for DJ talent, its regional musical dialects are all still basically derived from the same beat-driven language. --Matthew Cooke

Archived