IGNORED

Hardware setup?

Hautlle

Ok, so I've acquired a DSI Tetr4 and a BCR-2000. I cannot, for the life of me, get the BCR to talk to the Tetr4 using USB mode. In Ableton, if I select the BCR as a control surface then the knobs that control the tetra end up messing with various volume knobs in Live (even though the BCR is sending NRPN data wtf?) In standalone mode I can use my firewire interface to send MIDI to the BCR and into the Tetr4 (works great!) but I can't automate anything on the BCR... So here's my question: If I get another MIDI cable and route it from the Tetr4 out to the in on my firewire interface should I be able to automate my BCR in Ableton? It makes sense to me since it will be capturing the MIDI + NRPN from the BCR through the Tetr4 and into my interface, but I'm completely new to hardware so I have no idea, only my gut instincts. Does anyone own one or both of these units and running Ableton? Help please!

You should try to use live's "external instrument" first to see if live can send midi to and from it ok. Then tackle the BCR problem

MIDI IN/OUT of the Tetr4 works great as an external instrument through the FA-66 audio/midi interface, can automate and everything. I don't mind using the BCR as a pure MIDI unit without the USB as long as I can automate it in live. So I'm still considering routing like this PC->FA-66 OUT->BCR IN-> BCR out->Tetr4->FA-66 IN. Since the Tetr4 is setup as MIDI in/out it should just act like a through and send everything into Ableton correct?

I'm not 100% on how the BCR works or what it is.

Just as a sanity check, I was talking about the "External Instrument" live device, like in the instruments section of the live devices from the browser on the left... I'm sure you did this but I just want to double check.

In Ableton you can see if a device is receiving midi based on if the midi light (in the upper right of the screen is blinking) and more specifically if you see the midi guage infront of a live device go up and down with yellow dots. If you are infact getting midi then you may still need to map the midi controls via pressing the "MIDI" button at the top then selecting a param then doing something on your controller etc.

I can say that my Virus transmits midi data thru USB. I can't bring it up as a control surface, but its a midi device I set up. I can tell ableton to route the midi info from it to an actual midi port on my firewire sound card and that works fine. I imagine you should be able to do that with your BCR.

You might want to check the ableton forums. Some interesting BCR threads that I don't really want to go thru atm.

One of them is here and points to here.

The BCR is just a 32 knob controller.

Ya, I was using the external live device from the drop-down menu, it make it much easier than setting up a midi and audio channel.

Word, will check those threads. I also joined the BCR yahoo group yesterday. Those threads don't really pertain to my problem, but thanks for the help.

Apparently there are some known glitches in the 2000 especially with USB. The weird thing about it is the MIDI out lights on the BCR light up, but the won't send any data when it is in USB mode. If I switch it over to stand-alone it starts to work immediately. I'm just going to pick up a MIDI cable tomorrow and try out my routing idea.

Archived