IGNORED

spooky tooth with pierre henry

Guest Z_B_Z

this is great and utterly bizarre. just discovered via a blog i frequent... fuck i have to get the entire album. love the artwork too

full_fr_ceremony.jpg

full_in_ceremony.jpg

In 1970 the odd and ill-fitting duo of UK blues sludge merchants Spooky Tooth (featuring Gary “Dreamweaver” Wright) and the Godfather of musique concrète Pierre Henry released the Christian themed Ceremony LP. To this day this has to be one of the most confounding, “what were they thinking?” type of records I’ve ever heard. It’s fantastic the way Henry’s elements are mixed far, far above the band and with surprisingly little (or perhaps very abstract) regard for what the band is playing. A bloody-minded masterpiece !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfeYB-LEig

definitely grabbing this, what blog? i just grabbed the 3xcd set of Pierre Schaeffer titled 'l'ceuvre musicale' , it'ss pretty mind blowing and what's odd is the farther you go back like to 1948 it sounds a lot weirder almost before Musique concrete' became a style for Henry and Schaeffer

well i think at least for me the best thing i picked up was that 3xcd set. It's a great introduction to all of it as well as an awesome historical document. Just hearing what was technically the first musique concrete' song gave me chills, it sounded super futuristic. I had a bunch of Henry cds a while back but i was always more interested to check out stuff by the guy who actually invented it instead of his protege. For some reason Henry made a shit load more actual music than Schaeffer

i shall check it out. ive never actually taken the time to really get into pure musique concrete, but its something ive had an interest in

@ awepittance

what i've heard from pierre henry pretty much sucks. pierre schaeffer on the other hand is fucking genius.

what makes them so different?

i dont know, i like them both. to say one 'sucks' is a little harsh, maybe he heard a 128kbps transcode of all his work and judged it based on that?

i only prefer Schaeffer because he invented it as well as seems to be more unpredictable. Henry seems to have gotten into a little bit of a groove with his style, thats the only big criticism i can give

what i've heard from pierre henry pretty much sucks. pierre schaeffer on the other hand is fucking genius.

i don't know. i haven't heard much pierre henry in fact. but i listened to schaeffer's "l'oeuvre musicale" a lot and i can tell it's fucking timeless and fascinating. he was doing the autechre back in the seventies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2qPccm8YrI

i don't know. i haven't heard much pierre henry in fact. but i listened to schaeffer's "l'oeuvre musicale" a lot and i can tell it's fucking timeless and fascinating. he was doing the autechre back in the seventies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2qPccm8YrI

not to be a musical elitist faggot, but Morton Subotnick was doing a lot more autechrey stuff back in the 60s

Schaeffers most interesting stuff in my opinion is the music dealing with all real sounds no oscillator type stuff.

Guest Glass Plate

Speaking of awesome musique conrete people, any one else like Tod Dockstader? I've been really into his "Electronic" album (only have part 1 atm) (though this is after his actual tape music years)

my favorites :

subculf1.jpg

this is the one that sounds Confield-ish to me

Morton_Subotnick_-_The_Wild_Bull_front_sm.jpg

s625243.jpg

( 4 butterflies )

Silver apples of the moon is his most famous work, where the later 70s electronic rock band got its name from. I can't say its one of my favorites but its still pretty good.

haha, they were inspired by that title right? its not a coincidence at least i dont think so

odd synchronicity i just realized is that Tangerine Dream got it's name from a Beatles song, and Silver Apples got their name from a Morton Subotnick album title. 2 highly influential electronic bands both lifting fruit related names from other musicians.

Archived