IGNORED

Using Fruity Loops to control synths

Guest meneedit

Guest meneedit

Hi there,

I just bought myself a MIDI cable for my Alesis "Ion".

I'm ready to make some kick-ass music.

What I want to do is use fruityloops to control my synth then record the melodies using the keyboards 'audio out' leads. So basically I just want to place notes on the piano roll and those notes will play through the keyboard

however, I haven't been able to find one single thing on the net that actually goes through step by step, and tells me how to control the synth.

can somebody who uses Fruityloops please explain to me how to do this?

That would be fantastic.

Thank you. :smiling:

plug the cable in "midi in" on the keyboard and "midi out" on your midi interface. Find the "midi device" box (sorry, I don't use fl) and select the "midi out" number. So if you plugged the cable in "midi out 1" on your interface, select "midi out 1". Oh, read the part about midi in your manual. I have a micron and you have to change the midi settings in the keyboard or else you'll have problems...

Guest meneedit
plug the cable in "midi in" on the keyboard and "midi out" on your midi interface. Find the "midi device" box (sorry, I don't use fl) and select the "midi out" number. So if you plugged the cable in "midi out 1" on your interface, select "midi out 1". Oh, read the part about midi in your manual. I have a micron and you have to change the midi settings in the keyboard or else you'll have problems...

No worries thanks :)

but damn! ..why doesnt anyone use Fruity Loops!!!?

No worries thanks :)

but damn! ..why doesnt anyone use Fruity Loops!!!?

ahh, it's called midi out and should be where all the other fruity loops generators are

GENERATORS

MIDI Out

MIDI Out allows you to control MIDI hardware and or VST plugins with eight pages x nine freely assignable controllers. The MIDI out plugin acts as a MIDI controller sending standard MIDI messages to plugins/instruments on the same MIDI Port number as shown in the top right corner of the MIDI Out plugin and the target plugin (if inside FL) or in the settings of the external hardware.

To link the MIDI Out plugin to target software/hardware, simply match the MIDI port numbers in the MIDI Out and the target device. The ‘Channel’ setting allows independent (multitimbral) data to be transferred. For example, an external multitimbral instrument may be set to connect on port 2, play drum sounds on channel 10 (driven from the Piano roll) and strings on channel 2 (driven from another Piano roll). Controllers on the target plugin/hardware, such as mod wheels etc, have MIDI CC (control change) numbers assigned to them that act as ‘addresses’ for knobs/controls on the target plugin/hardware. You will need to consult the third party documentation to learn these CC numbers.

Parameters

* Port - This is the main connection between the MIDI out plugin and the target plugin or external device. 255 Ports are available. Matching port numbers on the MIDI Out plugin and the target instrument/plugin links them.

* Channel - The MIDI output channel number. Each port has 16 independent channels over which communications can occur. Generally channel #10 is used for drums channel.

* Bank - The patch bank number. 127 banks are available.

* Patch - The patch (instrument) number. 127 patches (per bank) are available. This parameter may be automated. The combo box displays the name of the general MIDI instrument for the selected patch number. It may not match the current instrument if your device is not using a general MIDI mapping. For some devices, the patch number also selects the drum kit for drum channels.

* Reset - Sends a reset (CC #121) message to your MIDI device, then updates all enabled controls. This switch is handy when you have disabled a control and you want its assigned controller to be reset by the MIDI device.

* Page - The current controller page (right click to rename). Each page supports 9 freely assignable controllers (all automatable).

* Controller Wheel - Each knob represents a single controller. The unassigned knobs in each page are labelled with three dashes (---). Click the label to enable/disable the corresponding controller (all controllers are disabled by default). To link a control knob to a MIDI controller (internal or external), right-click a control and select 'configure', and then set the CC number, range etc. You will need to examine the documentation of the target plugin/hardware to learn the CC numbers (for example) associated with the controller you wish to link to.

Notes & Tips

* Pan, filter cutoff & resonance per note (by the graph edit or the Piano roll) is not supported - the MIDI standard only supports velocity per note.

* As there is no standard rule for mapping velocity values (0..127) to dB, the level scale of MIDI channels may not fit the internal mixer levels.

Guest Mr. Magoo

in fruity loops (i sometimes use it) how do you record the melodies that you play on the keyboard whilst using the actuall keyboards sounds?

eg i have a microkorg and i want to play the actuall korgs sounds but not have to sample it as a wav loop? help

Guest Iain C
in fruity loops (i sometimes use it) how do you record the melodies that you play on the keyboard whilst using the actuall keyboards sounds?

eg i have a microkorg and i want to play the actuall korgs sounds but not have to sample it as a wav loop? help

It's a bit convoluted compared to Ableton but it can be done. If you've set up the midi-out, or you're just playing it live, open up the mixer and choose any old channel. From the "In" box at the bottom choose your soundcard's input, then press the disk record button at the bottom right. It'll write the sound to a wav as it's playing. Now press the main record button, and play! When it's done you should have a waveform in that bottom bit of the playlist window. Success! This is all for FL5 by the way, so your mileage may vary.

Sorry for the convoluted explanation, I'm really high

Archived