IGNORED

The Electro Wars

Guest Backson

Guest Backson

Is this what America is like?

This isn't a "how shit is music i don't like?" thread, because I like a couple of the artists alot, but its painful to see them compared side-by-side with the intellectual commentry LMFAO (who look like white kids who can't decide if they want to dress like black guys or clowns) or an educational voice over telling me "blog house" is a genre whilst showing a genre tree that includes "electro banger".

In an earlier trailer for this, DJ Qbert mentioned how he thought the term Electro was the stuff from Detroit from the 80s and 90s, for that I commend him. I hate how the term Electro is thrown around these days by fucking hipsters and this trailer only pisses me off. Especially when I see LMFAO :facepalm:

Get off my lawn.

Electro music is such a universal name for all kind of music this days, the same way techno went. I mean, i would never tell a stranger i listen to techno music.

Yeah, electro is electro (Detroit in general, Drexciya, Gerald Donald, Kraftwerk, etc. etc.), not anything electronic. The misuse of electro is starting to piss me off - seeing electro club nights is the worst when you finally think you've found somewhere playing that stuff locally and it turns out just to be shit trance/house/wank.

Yeah, electro is electro (Detroit in general, Drexciya, Gerald Donald, Kraftwerk, etc. etc.), not anything electronic. The misuse of electro is starting to piss me off - seeing electro club nights is the worst when you finally think you've found somewhere playing that stuff locally and it turns out just to be shit trance/house/wank.

:beer:

Do you also hate the term Electronica?

Guest Backson

I agree, but whatwould you call the music in the trailer?

When talking to others, I never know wha to call that music without sounding like a wanker.

Guest Ominous

Is this what America is like?

This isn't a "how shit is music i don't like?" thread, because I like a couple of the artists alot, but its painful to see them compared side-by-side with the intellectual commentry LMFAO (who look like white kids who can't decide if they want to dress like black guys or clowns) or an educational voice over telling me "blog house" is a genre whilst showing a genre tree that includes "electro banger".

*projectile vomits out of every orifice*

Guest Backson

:beer:

is that Red from That 70s Show in your signature?

Guest Lube Saibot

In hopes of placating this whole fiasco of a debate on the legitimacy of using the term "electro" nowadays...

What the fuck would you call this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMPDlEIpUM

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FwbsSdWh-U

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJMuEB5hFdc

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPwCmhvmHeM

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WiBj0JZOig

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn35gArcw2Y

etcetera etcetera

Some of it is somewhat french\filter house, some of it is somewhat fidget house, some of it is nu-rave yet none of the above are faithfully one single type of 4\4 electronic dance music. Some of it you may hate and some of it you may like. Thing is... it's getting mixed in the same sets and, like in every other case, the hype machine needs a catchy catch-all term to get the club-going kids to coalesce around something. And you're faced with either calling it "house" which is overly inclusive, "blog house" which is overly referential, or "maximal bass-centric 4\4 125-135 BPM electronic dance music" which might not sit that well on posters. So it's entered popular culture under the moniker "electro" or "electro house", which might not be ideally descriptive, but listeners know what to expect, and the confusion that may arise for listeners of old-school electro is manageable (especially considering that electro was also a catch-all term back then and that some modern "electro" acts, like Tiga, Boys Noize, Danger, Classixx, Ted & Francis etc are very tributary and referential to that era in their choice of sounds and sometimes even overall production).

I've never seen the term confused with trance or shitty Guetta house, at least in the context of party advertisement, so that's bullshit yeah. This whole nitpick is really funny actually; makes me think of gray-haired alcoholics in full denim attire saying Mastodon are not real metal. Shit changes, evolves, harmonizes with the zeitgeist, get with it.

Having said that, i have no love for that documentary, LMFAO are... i dunno... hipsters rapping?! Same goes for 30h!3... I don't even KNOW what Pitbull is doing there... From the trailer, the only people i could ascertain that have any connection to the scene were Justice, A-Trak, Aoki (barely, more by signing Bloody Beetroots thant anything else), and Q-Bert on the oldschool side of things.

non-tl;dr version: Nobody owns anything, shut the fuck up.

/rant

Guest Ominous

What bothered me most about the trailer (aside from LMAFO's stupid do's) was the "it all started with Hip-Hop" bullshit; these guys don't have a fucking clue! about the electro term, it's been (mis)used for anything electronic sounding since forever; so no big deal for me.. I was reading this NME review of a New Romantics band in the 80's and they were calling it electro as well, so go figure...

Guest Lube Saibot

Fuck NME (along with most of the press), fuck a hefty percent of the US audience for this stuff. Other than that i stick to the post above.

Guest Lube Saibot

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Maybe it was unclear from my post, but i was agreeing with you and showing why.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Maybe it was unclear from my post, but i was agreeing with you and showing why.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was thanking you for posting a video which backed up my point, because they refer to the music as "electro" several times in that piece.

What I'm trying to say is :beer:

Guest blicero

this.

fuck yes i do.

WTF is "blog house"?!

man, i am sooooo glad i don't live in LA.

Guest Lube Saibot

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was thanking you for posting a video which backed up my point, because they refer to the music as "electro" several times in that piece.

What I'm trying to say is :beer:

In that case :beer: to you good sir.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

the people in that documentary :facepalm:

Indeed , my son .

There were a nice amount of faceplams in the vid........I still wanna see though lol

Some of it is somewhat french\filter house, some of it is somewhat fidget house, some of it is nu-rave yet none of the above are faithfully one single type of 4\4 electronic dance music. Some of it you may hate and some of it you may like. Thing is... it's getting mixed in the same sets and, like in every other case, the hype machine needs a catchy catch-all term to get the club-going kids to coalesce around something. And you're faced with either calling it "house" which is overly inclusive, "blog house" which is overly referential, or "maximal bass-centric 4\4 125-135 BPM electronic dance music" which might not sit that well on posters. So it's entered popular culture under the moniker "electro" or "electro house", which might not be ideally descriptive, but listeners know what to expect, and the confusion that may arise for listeners of old-school electro is manageable (especially considering that electro was also a catch-all term back then and that some modern "electro" acts, like Tiga, Boys Noize, Danger, Classixx, Ted & Francis etc are very tributary and referential to that era in their choice of sounds and sometimes even overall production).

I am perfectly fine with it being called electro house.

this.

You can easily work this shit out from flyers/Facebook etc. Actual Detroit style nights will know their shit and promote it accordingly.

+1 for electro-house working well to describe whats about now

Guest Lube Saibot

That will inadvertently be shortened to "electro" in conversations and everybody gets pissed off again. :emotawesomepm9:

IMO "Detroit" is a genre in itself, i really don't think of its output as "electro".

Remember electroclash? :trashbear:

No. Did i miss anything good? :emotawesomepm9:

Archived