IGNORED

Love Computers, Hate Mice

wahrk

Nice thread wahrk. I can recommend OSX too because its hotkeys are consistent throughout the entire OS, but if youre experienced with linux you probably have more power there.

Attention to potential is the most important part of design in my opinion. To maximize potential with in interface design' date=' you need to reduce the processing load required by the user's brain, and what's more the unconscious part of the brain. The conscious part will get used to it eventually and develop mastery. Sacrificing accuracy for initial ease of use is catering to the conscious brain. He should be focusing on what the task is, though, not how to perform it.[/quote']

That's a great point. I think the mouse is a short-term solution and not a realization of the potential that computer interfaces can have. Lots of mouse-intensive programs that lack key commands can get aggravating / physically strenuous just because you have to navigate all over the screen to click icons that are an arbitrary distance apart from eachother over and over. At least if more UI's were modular and I could group buttons I use in sequence for certain tasks then I would be moving the mouse less distance and I could do things faster / with less effort. Still, it's a relative system and absolute control in a keyboard is much more reliable in my opinion.

I should try a tracker. they sound cool.

Thanks. :D

OSX is Unix-based, so it's all the same family. OSX is just backed by lots of money while other *nix OS's are only backed by people who care doing it for free.

Renoise is amazing. It's 3-4 features shy of being the best music making software out there IMO. The missing features are things that most trackers don't offer yet, like straight up audio tracks (though it can record audio already), and zooming (a la reViSiT, which is awesome btw). I have also NEVER had underruns with it. No clicks, no pops, just tunes. Their community is supportive and the developers avidly listen to suggestions for changes/additions to the program. I have no doubt that in a couple years, Renoise is going to be twice the powerhouse it is now.

Also of note, Dvorak.

QWERTY was designed to keep keys commonly used in sequence apart from each other to avoid jamming in typewriters. Not ergonomic, not conducive to speed/efficiency or even ease of use. The only reason it was adopted for computers was because people using typewriters were used to it. Enter Dvorak, designed based on frequency of letter use and hand alternation. Delicious.

Are you a Dvorak user? Did you remap most of your software or used the keybindings as is? How unix/oss friendly is it?

I'm still on azerty (:facepalm:) and am somewhat bothered by the position of the tilde key and having to use shift to type numbers. I'm quiting my job in september to study again and am considering to switch as long as I don't have to change keymaps every day.

Are you a Dvorak user? Did you remap most of your software or used the keybindings as is? How unix/oss friendly is it?

I'm still on azerty (:facepalm:) and am somewhat bothered by the position of the tilde key and having to use shift to type numbers. I'm quiting my job in september to study again and am considering to switch as long as I don't have to change keymaps every day.

I used Dvorak for a while about 2 years back, but I bounce around on a lot of machines that aren't mine these days and didn't feel like having to switch back and forth a bunch. I just left the keybindings as they were, but I also wasn't doing a lot of media production at the time, so it was mostly just day to day stuff like browsing, playing media, writing papers for school.

I liked it a lot though. Feels good man.

If I can switch the machines in the office easily enough then maybe I'll try and switch back.

Oh, and it's available with solid usability on all OS's as far as I know.

Archived