IGNORED

Vicente Fox Realises Something Obvious

Guest analogue wings

Guest analogue wings

Vicente Fox backs Mexico drugs legalisation

Former Mexican president Vicente Fox has called for the legalisation of drugs, arguing that prohibition has failed to curb rising drug-related violence and corruption.

Mr Fox said legalisation did not mean that drugs were good.

But he said it was a strategy that could reduce the power of the cartels.

The current Mexican president, Felipe Calderon last week called for a debate on legalisation, but he said he personally opposed the idea.

More than 28,000 people have died in drug-related violence since Mr Calderon took office and deployed the army to fight the cartels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10921975

28,000 dead people. I wonder how many Mexicans died from drug ODs in the same time period?

Guest analogue wings

It would be interesting so see the USA's reaction if they actually did this... "no, you have to keep drugs illegal because... um... we like dead Mexicans?"

the u.s would never allow it. we'd find a way to fuck mexico if they actually considered legalization..which is horrible. far too much delusion in this country for actual, progressive change.

Guest analogue wings

They'd probably just accuse Mexico of having a nuclear weapons programme. I mean Palin would be President by then anyway right?

youre joking but i wouldnt be surprised at all if palin got voted in. things are swinging further to the right these days in response to obama (whos barely left wing anyway.)

Guest tht tne

maybe, but im sure the right would find someone just as obnoxiously stupid and manipulative as she is.

a change gon' come

Guest analogue wings

You mean it got worse during his term. I'm pretty sure he didn't invent the phenomenon of violent crime as a side effect of prohibition.

yeah well duh, but drug cartels in mexico were sortof peaceful before he arrived and fucked things up. then the other guy came and made things much much worse by 'declaring war' on them.

Guest Ominous

that's just the official story though, Gordo. I think it's about more than that, for starters, it's about repressing a segment of the population that was already taking up arms against the unelected President. You sweep all that repression under the rug by calling everyone you kill or is killed a drug dealer. Fuck, it's about so much more than drugs.

Will making them legal make that much of a difference tho? I would think at LEAST 50% of the reason they're even in operation is because of the United States demand.

This sounds like a good idea to increase tourism to Mexico.

Guest analogue wings

Will making them legal make that much of a difference tho? I would think at LEAST 50% of the reason they're even in operation is because of the United States demand.

yes but then mexicans would be dying as a direct result of something being illegal in the united states

this is called political pressure

Guest Enter a new display name

So many Mexicans need to get blazed while listening to IDM vinyls really badly, as I see...

Guest Adjective

should reduce policy-induced violence in Mexico, no? i would hope this causes other countries to drop cooperation with the US's war on drugs and send it further into disaster. ...and, hopefully, send a message to the US and other countries that reducing the risk of penalty to the seller and user, reduces the premium attached to the product, which reduces the money flowing through the trade, which reduces the power, persuasion, and interest of the cartels, and so on.

that's just the official story though, Gordo. I think it's about more than that, for starters, it's about repressing a segment of the population that was already taking up arms against the unelected President. You sweep all that repression under the rug by calling everyone you kill or is killed a drug dealer. Fuck, it's about so much more than drugs.

um... no. while there was an actual threat of a revolt over the last elections nothing like that happened, violence IS mostly coming from drug cartels and they have evolved into something that goes beyond that, they've become seriously poweful organized crime in general, they even do that oldschool mafia thing where they ask for 'protection' fee. also a lot of random killings, because somehow a new subculture has emerged and kids in some parts aspire to be sicarios, that is, guns for hire. worrying shit like comandos breaking into teenagers birthday's parties and killing everyone in the room, stuff like that. the good thing is it's not generalized and major cities are safe from all that shit.

there's this concept failed state. Mexico is becoming one, fast. this is what this is all about.

i thought mexico had already decriminalized nearly all drugs earlier this year.

possession of small quantities is allowed. but buying and selling is still illegal, and probably growing/manufacturing as well.

this was an huge step though, HUGE, think about it. I was surprised that it flew under the media's radar for the most part when it was announced, as it was startling for a country so close to the US border to make a move like this. and it clearly indicated the policy direction the country was moving in, thereby making the Fox comment not so unusual.

Archived