IGNORED

Matthew Herbert - One Club

ventolin68

Here comes part two in Herbert's "One" trilogy.

"Matthew Herbert's One Club is composed from sounds recorded during one night at the Robert Johnson nightclub in Frankfurt;

it is a self-professed attempt by Herbert to document the vibrancy and chaos of an ad-hoc community brought together by recorded

sound. It is sort of a will-the-circle-be-unbroken?-artifact for DJ culture, if you enjoy thinking conceptually (Herbert does).

Herbert functionally stopped making club music several years ago, so One Club represents something of a return to his roots,

though it has little in common with the jazz-inflected microhouse he helped pioneer in the late 1990s. The points Herbert seems

to be making-- that clubs are foggy, wonderful, frightening social habitats-- are elementary enough, but the way he makes them

is natural. There is chatter, haze, long stretches of aggressive percussion. More than once a crowd starts chanting.

I think of my bleeding-together club experiences: DJ call and response sessions, bathroom breaks, stumbles to the bar, and

unmalicious elbows in my side while dancing. In what is either a move of astoundingly precise conceptual execution or, well,

compositional failure, One Club also embodies the ills of clubgoing: It is loud and too long and leaves you fatigued."

(Andrew Gaerig, Pitchfork review)

One Pig-- volume three, scheduled for later this year-- will attempt to document the life cycle of a swine.

• 1 year later...

Archived