IGNORED

rank smells encountered whilst driving

delet...

Wait, people actually live in Bakersfield?

Ugh. I once had to stop there for directions coming back from Vegas.

That huge slaughterhouse outside of Bakersfield gives me a huge headache. When it comes up on the I-5, I play a game where I see how long I can hold my breath.

Actually, it's not so much a game, I just try to hold my breath for as long as possible.

Hah !! @ smells you're driving past.

We had to drive through the longest smell affected area i've ever been through once. It was in northern NSW a week or so after some floods had covered about an 100 kilometre stretch of cane fields that lay on either side of the highway. If you know the smell of rotting hay, then think about all the sugar in the cane and what the microbes could do with that, and you'll get an idea of the smell.

Every time we'd start ascending some bluff or other into the fresh air, I'd enthusiastically tell my father that we were finally out of it. Only to then find myself descending, with no aircon in the summer heat with the windows rolled up to no use, once more into hell.

I think dad was more annoyed with my whinging about it, that with the smell itself. heh

Guest Sprigg

Every day to work, I drive by fields full of mud, hay and cow shit... it's way more rank this spring than I remember it ever being.

maybe they've found a way to feed the cows even cheaper nastiness.

It's funny, i was watching the show cheese slices, and they were in denmark talking to a biodynamic farmer. And he was saying that when you have cows with horns, they make less of a smell, i came into the segment a few seconds too late though so i missed the why. It did seem a bit strange, i mean it's only carbon and stuff in those horns.

Guest Sprigg

maybe they've found a way to feed the cows even cheaper nastiness.

It's funny, i was watching the show cheese slices, and they were in denmark talking to a biodynamic farmer. And he was saying that when you have cows with horns, they make less of a smell, i came into the segment a few seconds too late though so i missed the why. It did seem a bit strange, i mean it's only carbon and stuff in those horns.

Huh... so with horns, they smell less bad? Interesting. *googles it*

Probably had a lot to do with the nice diet his cattle were getting too methinks. There would be a lot of folklore surrounding farming, especially within the biodynamic community, i would bet. heh.

Still though, if you find anything, i would be interested to know.

Guest hahathhat

i remember i visited tennessee once for some nerd robot stuff. scoop up the rental car, pull out of the airport, and FUCKING GOD, what is that?

it was an aluminum plant, i was later told. i had no idea that shit could smell worse than the cow poop farms i'd pass in upstate new york.

Guest Franklin

fuck my post got deleted when I tried to post...

ok fucking short version:

1. I grew up in the middle of the Niagara region in Ontario (kinda in between Toronto and Niagara Falls) near lots of fields filled with fertilizers to help grow corn or which had chicken barns housing doomed chickens. Chicken shit summers were pretty fucking bad. Cow shit summers were great (I like that smell now!), Pig shit summers were almost as bad chicken shit summers. The worst was the one summer that the farmers near my place all tried human shit as a fertilizer. The townspeople complained big time.

2. Maple Leaf pork Factory in Oakville Ontario (just south of Toronto). kill the pigs, burn off their hair, cut out the viscera and skeleton, cut into products shapes/ put through grinder, pre-cook everything for packaging. this is just on a pretty main street in a pretty busy area of town. (beautiful city on the whole though)

3. Hamilton area in Ontario: steel factories. Awful smell. worse than most organic fertilizers (not human:).

4. Also in a vehicle.... some of my clients let them rip by accident (I don't think I've ever heard anythinhg, just smell the release). Once of my clients is an organic vegan and Fuck me does she emit the most rank smell of anything. My standard response to that is to ignore it and suffer in silence. I think this is why most psychs sit far away.

Archived