IGNORED

midi sampling?

taphead

hey guys. so I've been doing a bunch of covers of 90's songs, using audio-to-midi conversion software, and using output from that plugged into synths to get something that matches the form of the original. but I got to thinking, you could probably do something like sampling with this, taking chunks from a bunch of songs and arranging them into something original. so yesterday there was this 24 hour song thing goin on, and I whipped this up out of katy perry - fireworks, nancy sinatra - you only live twice, manfred mann - blinded by the light, and some band two gallants that someone had thrown a youtube link of thru an IM. cut those up, slowed em way the fuck down and found some cool melodies hidden away in there. and then I did some shitty vocals on top.

http://alextripp.com/music/Alex%20Tripp%20-%20Monsters,%20Hear%20Me%20Now.mp3

it's nothing too special, but I'm mostly curious, is this 'midi sampling' a thing that people are doing? I can't remember anyone talking about it, but maybe I haven't been paying attention, but if you or anyone you know of is up to something like this I wanna hear it.

Guest analogue wings

yeah but the skinny white nerd that do this have probably made up some "cool rebel outsider" name for it so they can pretend they're cool

GLITCH GRINDING

BIT FROTTING

DATA DEFLOWERING

i used to know a drum and bass producer who would have these really cool 'solos' made from the sub basslines at points in his songs, i asked him about it once and he admitted to me while giggling that he accomplished that by taking midi files of metallica and other metal bands, copy and pasted the guitar solos and reversed then/slowed them down.

edit: i think the technique can be interesting, i've tried doing it a little bit with Melodyne but more often than not there are too many junk notes to get a close translation to the original, what software are you using?

i use ts audio to midi 3.30, there's all sorts of parameters to control so you can get all sorts of variations to get it just right.

Not so keen on the vocals but really liking the sound of the melodies (particularly the first half), sounds like a real atmospheric introduction that would evolve into some ambient drone piece.

Archived