IGNORED

I really need some input

ganus

Well, I've just been working away for a few months, not getting all that far, and refusing to share anything with anyone until I'm happy with my music, but that's not happening, and the music I'm currently working on isn't publishable anyway, so I figure I need to get some feedback so I can make something that I'll be happy with one day. Hopefully now that I've just finished making my studio and am getting off the desktop as my primary mode of music creation, and getting some feedback from others, I'll get the inspiration back that I had when I first discovered creating music.

http://soundcloud.com/ganus/svampens-h-gtid

http://soundcloud.com/ganus/digital-bell-pepper

not really my style but i'll give what comes in my mind

track 1

quite nice at first glance. it sounds as though it has 'heart' and meaning inside of it. i do not personally connect with this style of melody. to me this style of melody often sounds a bit 'flat.' i imagine you are going for an 'ambient' sound, and like i said, i don't like ambient music that much unless i'm trying to fall asleep. the drums were really good, giving it a very interesting and well composed feel. the ending was creative with the spin out thing. so, it has heart, but maybe it could use a little more filling out. a little more layering or some more details and rhythmic sequenced melody/harmony synths on top. that's just my opinion however.

track 2

has the heart and soul, feeling/creativity. it sounds good, i like the synth. at first glance the drums sound very cool. but i do have a criticism of these drums and a lot of drums posted in YLC in general. the drums really need to be clean and simple. i like breakcore but it is imperative that the drums are not sloppy. there are moments of this that i hear that disrupts my listening experience. in fact, even Vsnares and friends do this sloppiness occasionally and it takes me out of enjoyment. i like chaotic breakcore and fast drums, more than most... but still, the drums need to be organized in a way that appeals to the ear. aka not sloppy/overly disjointed/snarerushed at all. that's my opinion on that matter. i might be wrong, flat out, but it's something i've noticed many times that potentially fucks up the music for me. Aphex Twin and Squarepusher do it flawlessly, and there are certain artists on the outskirts that do it very well. it's still a difficult road to go down and i think for it to sound 'pro' it needs to be solidified/perfected.

i hope these critiques weren't too harsh. i provided my opinion and i more or less stand by it. i didn't put that much thought into these critiques but i'm speaking honestly. peace!

Thank you both, for the constructive criticism and the kind remarks. Definitely going to keep in mind the advice here.

expect better tracks soon.

of course I don't mind more feedback on these if anyone wants to give it. the more help I can get with my music the better at this point honestly

Guest Hermann

Well this is my style kind of.. but anyway that doesn´t matter

The first track is great. I really like the sound you´ve got, the sounds and the noises are all just perfect.

I´d say it´s a bit too structured, pretty metric, maybe if you were to add some randomisation as to where things come into the song, and just structure it less.. meaning, um, just do whatever feels natural and what comes out I suppose,

and it all leads on from each part very quickly, (which is fine if you´re planning to add more after it), but maybe you could elongate the parts and let them flow better (and more randomly, of course) together.

But if you´re planning to add more after it, then maybe it could be nice to do a contrasting section where everything is (subtly) a lot more random and unexpected.

The second track I less suggestions for, it´s kind of nice like that. Though I could add what I said for the first one to this one too, though not as much, since this one doesn´t need as much changing (not that either of them do...) but you know what I mean. And I realise now that this is kind of your style, and therefore it´s nicer after having listened to two, and I start to like the other one even better, after getting to know your way of doing things a little bit more.

I think I have one thing to say about the second one though, and that is that I feel you could get inspiration from The Cure, as in the band. Let their songs influence the track a little bit maybe :)

Maybe even add some little vocal lines ? (not with words though. Unless you want to) But yes, I think some natural sound, just a tiiiny tiny bit, could really make a difference in this track, any recorded instrument you choose.

I´m not sure what kind of feedback you´re wanting, and I realise I´m kind of giving quite concrete suggestions that might not be what you´re asking for at all and it might make the music a little less yours if you pay attention to it at all.

Well I hope my feedback comes of some help, if this is what you´re looking for in feedback.

Thanks Hermann, and as far as incorporating acoustic elements into the second one, I definitely agree. When I first made the concept for the song, I felt like what it really needed were some mellow vocals, but I'm not so confident with about my own voice, so I shortened the part where I felt it lacked that, and added that silly bassline to supplement what was missing. At some point, probably when I get a better microphone, I will revisit that song.

I also agree that they do need to evolve a bit, and that the first one needs a break from the main melody and a bit of contrast, as well as maybe a few more layers, like vamos said.

Guest Billov

Can't think of much to add to the criticism, but just dropped in by to say that I dig your second track. Barks included. If you can expand on this, plunge things deeper into new progressions and developments, I think you'd be in a very special place.

Keep it up mr Ganus

Archived