IGNORED

ICBYD Press Kit

KyonPalm

Guest cctoide

page on the right:

http://spager.home.x...blatt/aphex.htm

page on the left, stolen from some blog:

Richard James, the man commonly known as Aphex Twin, is an artist trapped in an unusual position. Based on his early work – several seminal hard-core techno tracks – his photogenic looks and a music industry hungry to give tangible identity to an amorphous style of music, he has been catapulted to the position of rising pop star. But his artistic progression over five albums and numerous singles demonstrates that his music has little to do with techno in any of its more popular guises; other than utilizing some similar gear, Aphex Twin has nothing in common with Moby or the Orb. The artist that emerges on I Care Because You Do is a contemporary electronic composer working in a highly stylized, avant-garde realm: He resides closer to the margins with John Cage or Philip Glass than to any of the artists with whom he currently shares the limelight.

Aphex Twin found his original core audience among fans of electronic dance music. The scene first embraced his ultrahard, ultrafast floor fillers like "Didgeridoo" and "Quoth"; happily followed him into the softer beat-oriented tracks from his masterpiece, Selected Ambient Works, '85-'92; and found his dark, brooding work an engaging antidote to a genre occasionally veering toward New Age.

Because of this initial acceptance from a young, "hip" audience, Aphex Twin is unknown to people interested in classical music or so-called high art. But the musical universe James has been creating for years and that emerges most clearly and completely on I Care Because You Do is the perfect morph of the two worlds: This is classical music for a generation raised on samplers.

In fact, the songs on I Care Because You Do draw most strongly from hip-hop. James' trademark is to put rhythm and percussion above all else; his beautiful, haunting melodies are relegated to the back of the mix. The album opens with "Acrid Avid Jamshred," an Aphex Twin take on the omnipresent "Funky Drummer" break beat, with the low-key melodies played out in both lilting synthesizer lines and squelchy feedback. The album's centerpiece, an amazing track called "Ventolin," is a punk ditty, industrial anthem and gangsta-rap classic rolled into one. Starting with a blast of feedback, Aphex Twin crafts the cacophony of this bit of pure noise into a rolling hip-hop beat that recalls the best work of the Bomb Squad. The noise is the beat – the two are inseparable – while multiple melodies hide in the shadows. Angry like Ministry, vengeful like Public Enemy, rebellious like Big Black – "Ventolin" sucks you in as it shoves you away.

I Care Because You Do puts all of Aphex Twin's various styles together in sharp relief, the contrasts serving to highlight the method behind the seeming madness. The first four tracks are dark mood music, and the joy to be found is in the repetition. "ICCT Hedral," a collaboration with Philip Glass, combines the thudding, distorted percussion of Aphex Twin with his elder's signature symphonic mantras. The middle of the record is classic Twin-style hard-core techno – fast, dense percussion mixed with hisses, pops and otherwordly tunes, resulting in glorious discord. The final third of the record finds the Twin at his funkiest, with slower, groovy beats and some almost cheerful piano lines.

Aphex Twin walks a dangerous tightrope – too esoteric for pop acceptance yet too grounded in urban culture to be anointed by the world of classical music. But as a truly singular artist working by his own self-gencrated rules, he is making some of the most engaging and important music of our time. - Rolling Stone (4/5)

Curious. Did the Rephlex tour of the states ever happen? A Ceephax, Monolith, Wisp, Aphex tour would be quite nice.

"RH: My favourite gigs are in towns like Lubbock, Texas, or anywhere in Mississippi. The people there are just as freaked out by us as we are of them, which always makes for a better show."

This is hilarious because I happen to be living in Lubbock at the moment. I didn't know there was anything out here but country music ever. I've actually just been sitting in my hotel making music, watching soccer, and playing Dota 2.

Archived