IGNORED

Black Rain - Now I'm Just A Number

Guest primusluta

Guest primusluta

So what you're saying is I should blame you!!

j/k

What's on the CD. Love everything I heard on this release, probably gonna grab the vinyl somehow someway.

What's on the CD. Love everything I heard on this release, probably gonna grab the vinyl somehow someway.

This is coming from the perspective of a guy who's a little baffled by this reissue, but here's my take-- the Blackest Ever Black version bascially cherry-picks the non-embarrassing (ie, instrumental) stuff and leaves the corny material behind. It's kind of the equivalent of a fat person taking a photo of just their face from a certain angle and using that on myspace or a dating site. If a label was trying to push this on today's crowd by leading with a Black Rain song like "Brain Drop" or their hilariously bad cyberpunk cover of "Anarchy in the UK," I don't think they'd get any traction.

That's not to say that Black Rain don't have some amazing stuff, or that it's a bad thing that Blackest Ever Black is getting them some belated props. I just have tons of questionable 90s "industrial" CDs in my collection, and you could probably curate quite a few compilations like this by zeroing in on the ambient "intro," "outro" and "interlude" tracks and jettisoning the stuff with power chord electric guitars and distorted voices ranting about society.

Maybe I need to get my entrepreneurial spirit together and do just that, I dunno.

Guest primusluta

Thanks for the context!! Now I want to hear the bad stuff. LOL!!

Seriously though I think the curation should be allowed for assuming there is good stuff. Especially to contextualize an overall history the sounds of electronic music. Not having heard it, I imagine the less good stuff fit well in the context of when it was made even if it wasn't the most quality around at the time. Perhaps cheese. Over use of trendy sounds. But the stuff curated hear probably would have sounded less 'fresh' in that context as well. Now in 2012 though there's a different context in which such sounds have more company. Unearthing predecessors to that sound are always of value.

I guess the danger lies in attributing greater value to the artist than the music. "OMG they were so ahead of their time. So ahead of the curve." Blah blah blah. No they just made some great sounds within the continuum. Also some pretty forgettable stuff it would seem. Though like I said, now I'm interested in the forgettable stuff.

Oh and if you decide to become more enterprising, let me know. Would love to know what else I missed the first go round.

Archived