IGNORED

Celtic in EPL?

There's been a lot of discussion regarding Celtic joining the english league system lately. It's been discussed many times before, but this time it seems quite serious. Rangers has been financially struggling. Celtic fear they will suffer from the same fate if they continue to play in the SPL.

They would start in League 1 and they would have to work their up. Rangers would very likely join aswell.

Personally I'm in love with the idea. Celtic and Rangers are two massive clubs (fan base wise) and they have two incredible atmospheric grounds. They would make the Premier League even bigger than it already is. And it would give me a chance to follow the two clubs more regularly.

What's your opinion?

Guest Gary C

I'm not against it, but it's a difficult decision as even going into League 1 they'll end up displacing teams who could deserve to be in the Championship. Ideally they'd have to start from a lower rung, but then it won't suit Celtic and Rangers in the long-run.

It's tricky, and probably best to leave it until some sort of European Super League starts up.

I'm not against it, but it's a difficult decision as even going into League 1 they'll end up displacing teams who could deserve to be in the Championship. Ideally they'd have to start from a lower rung, but then it won't suit Celtic and Rangers in the long-run.

It's tricky, and probably best to leave it until some sort of European Super League starts up.

Wait wat?

Both Celtic and Rangers are a mid-table championship side at best. It will never happen, the only reason these clubs survive is because they qualify for Europe every year and the TV deals (that wouldn't happen on League one/Championship). Plus Scottish football is a democracy , the other teams would vote against them moving because they make their money by having Celtic and Rangers fans come to their stadiums, buy tickets, food, etc.

Guest Gary C

Wait wat?

It's coming. Maybe not this decade, but next.

Guest MortstoX

There's been a lot of discussion regarding Celtic joining the english league system lately. It's been discussed many times before, but this time it seems quite serious. Rangers has been financially struggling. Celtic fear they will suffer from the same fate if they continue to play in the SPL.

They would start in League 1 and they would have to work their up. Rangers would very likely join aswell.

Personally I'm in love with the idea. Celtic and Rangers are two massive clubs (fan base wise) and they have two incredible atmospheric grounds. They would make the Premier League even bigger than it already is. And it would give me a chance to follow the two clubs more regularly.

What's your opinion?

The financial struggling is a non-valid point IMO. If the two biggest teams with 50.000 (or so) attendance average are struggling financially, they are fucking up and have to cut their expenses. Of course it will be more lucrative to play in the PL, but what would scottish football be without it's two biggest teams?

Guest MortstoX

Gary C: A good point, but do this mean that the league would be more interesting, for the fans and the sponsors, or would the fact that the biggest stars and teams disappears have the opposite effect?

Guest Gary C

50:50. In the immediate future the league would suffer from a loss of revenue. International sponsorship would leave, but as long as Scottish teams were allocated places in the European cups there would still be an element of prestige and increased revenue/exposure for the 2 or 3 best teams.

The quality of the league probably wouldn't change a whole lot and the sudden equality and scramble for dominance would probably be thrilling for the other teams.

Rangers and Celtic fans would always gloat Hibs/Hearts/whoever could never have won the league without them leaving, but fuck that. Rangers and Celtic would probably embarass themselves in the English leagues anyway.

Like I said, it probably won't happen, and if it ever does it'll be at a time when United/City/Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal are already having their heads turned by a crazy super league.

Guest Mirezzi

what would scottish football be without it's two biggest teams?

More competitive.

Obvious point is obvious, but I think it's a great idea.

what would scottish football be without it's two biggest teams?

More competitive.

The Welsh league is very competitive, they also play games in front of 100 people and 13 cows.

Wait wat?

It's coming. Maybe not this decade, but next.

What do base that on exactly? Just curious.

I hope it will never happen. In Scandiniva we tried something similar called Royal League: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Royal_League

It was kind of a failure.

Archived