IGNORED

[BleepBot] Bleep Interviews Mo Kolours

Joyrex

Mo Kolours

Next week sees a new Mo Kolours release, EP2: Banana Wine. We thought this would be a good time to catch up with him and ask a few questions.

Bleep: Can you give us idea of your studio set-up and your usual process of making music?

Mo Kolours: My set up is small, just some bits and bobs to hit and shake!  A couple of bust-up old keyboards, a mic, and some records. I’ve got some Philips SBC HP250 headphones.

B: It’s somewhat essential to mention your ancestry in relationship to your music. Both of your EPs are awash with the Sega music of your father’s homeland. Was it always a conscious decision to incorporate it into your work?

MK: Sega is an influence for me, but it wasn’t a conscious decision to put it in the music. My attempts at making stuff, are a reflection of all the music I love and more.

B: In light of that, how far is your work influenced by your other home, e.g. the sights and sounds of South London?

MK: South-London’s population mix fuels my interest for all cultures and their musics, you’ve got representatives from every corner of the globe!

B: You work closely with Paul White of One Handed Music. Is there anyone else you would like to collaborate with?

MK: It would be great to work with more people….so I’m always on the lookout.

B: What contemporary music are you listening to currently?

MK: Listen out for Tighface, Ujean Wilda, and Al Dobson jr.

B: Your debut EP was released digitally as well as on vinyl and most interestingly, cassette. How important as tangible forms of music for yourself and where do you sit on the digital/physical divide?

MK: Records and cassettes have some irreplaceable qualities. They have a history, a story, a smell, they develop a kind of characters of their own, and evoke memories.  Not to mention the sound-quality. 

B: What can we expect next from Mo Kolours?

MK: More beats, collabs, gigs, and general hitting stuff and jigging around!

Look at Mo Kolours’ Best of Bleep Chart.

View the full article

Archived