IGNORED

[BleepBot] Bleep Interviews The Haxan Cloak/ Tri Angle Records Tour Details…

Joyrex

triangle_blog_hr_500

We like Tri Angle Records… We like them quite a lot.
So much so in fact, that we made them our Top Label of 2011 and made an exclusive t-shirt and digital compilation with them.

With this in mind, we are quite keen to see what they get up to in 2012. And they already seem to be doing a lot…

They have already announced a European Tour showcasing some of the label’s brilliant roster including Balam Acab, oOoOO, and Holy Other.

02/02/12 – Berghain / Berlin
03/02/12 – Trouw / Amsterdam
04/02/12 – Secret Warehouse / London
08/02/12 – AB Box / Brussels
09/02/12 – Point FMR / Paris

The+Haxan+Cloak+haxancloak

Playing at Tri Angle’s London showcase is their latest signing, The Haxan Cloak.
We decided to catch up with the man himself and discuss his approach to music….

Bleep: Your work seems to have a very cohesive sound palette and atmosphere, what inspired your project The Haxan Cloak?

The Haxan Cloak:
The Haxan Cloak comes from a vast array of influences. I seem to have some inclination toward the darker aspects of society and culture. I think this is a main theme that permeates the music I make.

thc_tumblr_500

B: Coming from a sound art background, there seems to be a real physicality to your music, what are your interests in sound, and what experience are you trying to convey to the listener?

THC: My interests in sound are absolutely very textural. I feel much more compelled towards tone than I do toward rhythm. I don’t really consider the role of the listener when I am making music, however, I do often hope, in hindsight, that listeners are able to be as engrossed in the sound as I am.

B: Your works seems to build the bridge between the organic and the synthetic, from live instrument recording to digital manipulation. What role does technology play in your music. Does it enhance or hinder?

THC: Technology doesn’t necessarily enhance or hinder, it merely facilitates. I’m not really a huge ‘gear’ person. I like to have as few implements as possible when it comes to making music. The most difficult part of making music is a clear concept. If you don’t have a strong idea that you believe in, no amount of technology can cover that up.

B: How do you approach transferring your music in to a live environment?

THC: I appreciate that an audience likes to hear familiar material, however, I’m not such a huge of fan of recreating my record faithfully in a live context – you may as well listen to the record at home. I take elements of my recordings and essentially remix them live. In this way, the audience still gets a snippet of something they recognise, but they also get to experience something completely new within this familiar framework.

B: You have just signed to Tri-Angle Records, what other contemporary music do you feel inspired by? Is there anyone out there you would like to collaborate with?

THC: I don’t know if I feel inspired by much contemporary music. Some artists I like, off the top of my head are: Actress, Grouper, Eddy Current Supression Ring, Alexander Tucker, Death Grips, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Theo Parish, Hype WIlliams, Beyonce, Lil’ Wayne…I could go on…

I’d like to write music for Matthew Barney, Bela Tarr or Harmony Korine.

B: What have you developed since your album on Aurora Borealis, what should we expect from your upcoming release?

THC: I’ve developed a stronger sense of who I am as an artist and a clearer vision of how I’d like to develop and challenge myself. The next release will be a continuation of textural themes explored on my previous record. It will be more rhythmically driven than the last and will be very different, however, still undeniably mine. I hope.

Holy Other – Feel Something (The Haxan Cloak Remix) by TriAngleRecords

The track above ‘Holy Other – Feel Something (The Haxan Cloak Remix)’ is available to buy now exclusively on Bleep.

View the full article

Archived