IGNORED

Well, WATMM...it's time to build a new PC

Guest Mirezzi

looking to add a bit of life to an aging pc (6+ years old) that will probably be passed down next year when i do a completely new build. here's what i currently have:

just looking to upgrade the video card to one of those newfangled amd rx480 cards and a ssd (probably 500gb samsung 850)

think it's worth it? hoping to spend ~$350 or less

next year after some of this years new components come down a bit i'm looking to build myself a real beast

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i do sometimes but not planing on doing anything over 1080p. will the processor, ddr3 ram or motherboard be huge bottlenecks?

currently my pc can't even reliably show 1080p video :\

Yes that's an old processor, but not horrible, should be fine for basic use, and the motherboard itself doesn't affect system speed much at all unless configured poorly. "ddr3" doesn't mean much in itself, that's plenty of theoretical bandwidth, it's more the amount of RAM that matters. If you're frequently running at near max usage that's gonna make everything slow cause it's paging to the HDD for program data, and especially with an old HDD it can get bad.

Start with the SSD, maybe do a fresh OS install, see how that improves things, then consider a major overhaul if it's still bad.

Archived