Guest crivella

Track is nice, as is aesthetics, thanks for sharing. There is a couple of problems i see with it. The first one is that you choose to use minimum amount of sounds and at the same time you're trying to keep it busy on the surface, that's a stylistic contradiction which in my opinion (as a listener of some drone music) doesn't help to get listener into it. The second problem is related to sound tightness. It's not tight. Midsection, for example, sounds like it was recorded in a room with no designed acoustics, kind of regular weak room recording. So i suggest to find a way to make a sound more minimal in movement, but more rich in detail (maybe through a combination of hand-crafted reverb with other effects making it not instantly recognisable).

Guest crivella

Track is nice, as is aesthetics, thanks for sharing. There is a couple of problems i see with it. The first one is that you choose to use minimum amount of sounds and at the same time you're trying to keep it busy on the surface, that's a stylistic contradiction which in my opinion (as a listener of some drone music) doesn't help to get listener into it. The second problem is related to sound tightness. It's not tight. Midsection, for example, sounds like it was recorded in a room with no designed acoustics, kind of regular weak room recording. So i suggest to find a way to make a sound more minimal in movement, but more rich in detail (maybe through a combination of hand-crafted reverb with other effects making it not instantly recognisable).

you captured the 2 main issues. thanks for the detailed post. it makes me clarify my ideas. i'm agree to develop the track more like a drone track. also if it's not really drone. of course the main challenge for me is to create high quality sound. i worked on it in the last 2 days, and i have uploaded an extract (less than 2 min.) of the last version, just to have some response about it sounds. let me know your point of view.

you captured the 2 main issues. thanks for the detailed post. it makes me clarify my ideas. i'm agree to develop the track more like a drone track. also if it's not really drone. of course the main challenge for me is to create high quality sound. i worked on it in the last 2 days, and i have uploaded an extract (less than 2 min.) of the last version, just to have some response about it sounds. let me know your point of view.

Yeah, by drone music i mean a mass of sound, not a boring genre where everything sounds the same, of course. I'm not sure what you perceive as high quality, i think it could be low quality too, more important for it to have a character, your own signature. You already have something in this regard.

I enjoy the new extract a lot, the new structure based around one pattern made it tense, you have my full attention there. I'm forced to follow the next step and anticipate. Now you can work with that, by introducing a change in sound for a single moment, you can make an unexpected transition, you can do nothing too. I like the overall sound more than previously, another thing i may suggest to you is to combine it with dry sounding elements, some type of a snare or a bass hum, something to confuse the sense of space in listener.

To clarify, i don't want to sound like i know better than you by giving these little "instructions", i just see a potential in your stuff and this is a way for me to articulate it.

wow, quite cool and interesting track dude ! really like what you've done so far, and thumbs up amen for such nice tipps you gave :)
i'd like to see some more progression but i think thats a WIP, right :P ?

cheers

Guest crivella

Yeah, by drone music i mean a mass of sound, not a boring genre where everything sounds the same, of course. I'm not sure what you perceive as high quality, i think it could be low quality too, more important for it to have a character, your own signature. You already have something in this regard.

I enjoy the new extract a lot, the new structure based around one pattern made it tense, you have my full attention there. I'm forced to follow the next step and anticipate. Now you can work with that, by introducing a change in sound for a single moment, you can make an unexpected transition, you can do nothing too. I like the overall sound more than previously, another thing i may suggest to you is to combine it with dry sounding elements, some type of a snare or a bass hum, something to confuse the sense of space in listener.

To clarify, i don't want to sound like i know better than you by giving these little "instructions", i just see a potential in your stuff and this is a way for me to articulate it.

your point of view is so interesting, i really appreciate your suggestions.

i tried to add another sound that gew-up more and more, but the results was discounted. then i added another thin/dry kick line that played in another room. it worked well but at the same time it was messy...i think i will try other sounds that play in other rooms to take away the attention from the main storm. i was so busy in these days, anyway i tried to develope the track without other instruments. playing just with one complex sound. let me know what you think about changes and modulations and if it needs to be definitively combined with other sounding elements.

Archived