IGNORED

dj controllers that aren't toys

andihow

do these exist? technics will always hold they key to my heart but i'm looking for something i can fit in a backpack with my laptop for mp3s. i basically just want to be able to do headphone cueing and manual beat matching (virtual dj sync button only has about 75% success rate for some reason).. i imagine trying to beatmatch via the pitch faders will be laggy with these things, is this the case?

i know all of these products seem to do exactly what i'm asking but can any of yous recommend any that aren't so hotwheelsy looking for under $200?

thx for listening

for that price range i don't think you;ll find anything great. i mean, idon't like those controllers to begin with BUT, a friend of mine's setup might work. he's using native instruments traktor app on an ipad and an ni hardware mixer that is meant to be used together . i like ni, i think they put out quality stuff.

Guest RadarJammer

gamepad joysticks work great over OSC. they always return to center so they would be great for nudging. not sure how traktor works but i'd look into playing your dj set like a videogame from an xbox 360 controller

for under 200 bucks of course you only get toys (or better second-hand stuff). i like my traktor kontrol s4 und i got it pretty cheap because they kicked out a new generation just around the time i was looking which is exactly the same like the one i have now for 400 bucks less. anyway, also the kontrol s4 is just plastic. i would check the s2 and smaller controllers from vestax and pionier.

Guest wascal

You can find a Vestax VCM600 for that kind of price nowadays 2nd hand. I use one along with a custom mapped Launchpad for FX and cues if I'm playing out on Traktor. They're built like a brick sh1thouse and fit in a backpack easily, mines done gigs and festivals for the last couple of years and is in far better condition than it should be considering the beatings its taken. The only downside is you need an external soundcard but I prefer that anyway.

You can use one to control 4 decks and then use the other 2 spare channels to map to fx controls or whatever. Highly recommended if you have a larger backpack and strong shoulders ;)

Archived