IGNORED

WATMM ROULETTE - Sample based production compilation

Polytrix

OK.  So basically, to those of you who have seen Rhythm Roulette on Youtube, this is a very similar idea but even more stripped back,  if you've never seen ryhtm roulette, watch the link below for an idea of the concept

To explain it anyway: The idea is that you go into a record store and pick up three items of music blindfolded...totally random choice, bring them home and make a track using that as your source material...and ONLY THAT.

If you don't live near a record store/charity shop or whatever where you can get wax/cd/tape, then you can also take three digital rips of whatever you want but it HAS to be randomly selected. E.g. youtube randomizer (http://randomyoutube.net/watch#) giving you three totally random audio samples to use as material. Maybe put something like Spotify on random and rip the first three tracks that come on? However you want to do it...who knows you could get jack shit...but that's the fun challenge right!

Idea is, we restrict ourselves to 1.5 MONTHS to make a track USING ONLY THE MATERIAL on the the 3 random records we've picked.

So NO VSTS, NO EXTERNAL HARDWARE, NO DRUM SAMPLES FROM OUTSIDE. Samplers/mpcs etc are obviously allowed as are midi keyboards etc. I'm thinking from the perspective of an Ableton user personally where I can chuck whatever I like into Simpler and that can become a melodic part/ chorus/ bassline....whatever. It's about being creative with what you've got.

I see FX being an integral part of this as clearly you've got to make the material work for you so that's totally fine to use EQs, compressors, chorus etc etc. Outboard gear FX are also OK but can only be used to supplement the existing material, not replace it with melodic information that wasn't in the original sample..i.e 

After 1.5 months from getting the source material you upload the finished WAV and we collate them all and make a compilation of the results, no matter how good or shit they may be if you genuinely pull it off and have enough self respect not to lie about that fact, then you get on the compilation!!

So it's about being creative with source material which could be potentially terrible but make it work and try and make something melodic with some kind of structure. It could be all sourced from shite country records and you turn it into a 4/4 banger! Who knows.

Additionally, final tracks are named as anagrams of the source material you've taken them from...so make an anagrams of the artists it originates from (Blank's idea).

Track length must be less than 8 minutes and the 1.5 month production time starts from the day you put hands/ears on the source material.

WAV/aiff preferred.

Let's do this!!!!!! I have no idea about a cut off deadline for finishing the comp..I suppose we let it run long term as people have their own personal experiences and we just keep on ongoing list of submissions and then maybe vote on the best that make a 10 track album comp or something.

Sorry if any of this is unclear, I wrote it very sleepy in an attempt to make cool shit happen.

The Youtube video above isn't the best example of what we will be trying to do as he's using samples straight away on top of the records but you get the idea. Try to restrict yourself to material on the records only and build drum racks/bass/synth/vocal from there.

Cool, t'would be the first time going in a record store after 15 years  :emotawesomepm9: , but  I'd do the 3 random youtubes in the music category as alternative.

Blank is going to repost an edited more accessibke version of this thread. I can't seem to edit my posts using tapatalk for some reason. But get involved people...go random digging and start getting audio prepared.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Blank is going to repost an edited more accessibke version of this thread. I can't seem to edit my posts using tapatalk for some reason. But get involved people...go random digging and start getting audio prepared.

for the record; if I do this I will just use random samples, I cannot be arsed to purchase records because I'm poor to shit

edit: random samples as in anything

for the record; if I do this I will just use random samples, I cannot be arsed to purchase records because I'm poor to shit

Totally fine. Just restrict it to 3 and avoid subjective selection. ..I.e. totally random. I actually think the youtube randomizer is a brilliant idea as you could get anything...music or otherwise. I still feel this can be done for £3 or maybe even less of you dig cheap. I don't plan on spending more than £5-£10 put it that way.

Totally fine. Just restrict it to 3 and avoid subjective selection. ..I.e. totally random. I actually think the youtube randomizer is a brilliant idea as you could get anything...music or otherwise. I still feel this can be done for £3 or maybe even less of you dig cheap. I don't plan on spending more than £5-£10 put it that way.

isn't there a sound randomizer on the web? sounds like something that should exist

Archived