IGNORED

Killiniq - We Did It!

bendish

Thanks Stephen

Glad you had a good butchers...fuck boy is one of my favs too...mainly cause I got to sing im your fuck boy which is always fun...

Yes it's a lot of editing...making a shit load of synth noise...edit it etc

I master the tracks myself...and by master I mean i load them into wavelab and add a tiny bit of compression...1db max of gain reduction...try and keep all individual tracks below -10db...all tracks set to pregain -20 by default...

It's a cliche but I try to do it all in the mixing...the fact that it's hyper edited means u r literally mixing as u edit...making sure sounds don't clash...making sure if they do they aren't playing at the same time...I love the way with cubase u can have eq and spatial processing plugins on hot keys so u just select a sound region and eq it with two key strokes...no processing power needed...so the mixing IS the mastering! Plus although I wanna use Twerk for a proper mastering job...that 600 dollars could buy me another plane ticket to Ottawa to sketch out more Killiniq tracks! Life's too short!

Anyway....way too much information for u...

You know how I used to master my tracks, I used to go into sound forge drop the level by about 2% and then draw the top of any flattened due to clipping peak into a nice curve, was time consuming but not as bad as you'd think to zoom in and do this. Now I know that you might say that there's more to mastering than this but for me it worked out nicely, I think my tracks from then sounded well balanced and worked on all playback devices without losing sonic intent.

Sounds painstaking. Artisan hand crafted mastering by Delet. Its gotta be a science. I don't profess to get it. There's more to learn. Izotope have a free mastering guide pdf for anyone interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you're the one that posted that crazy DAW screenshot with loads of tracks right? one can hear that I think. That's definitely a challenge to succeed in making whole cohesive tracks with so much stuff going on. I imagine that samples is the base of most of the sounds you use except maybe basses and some leads, am I right?

The couple of track I heard from you are solid and well made. Reminds me of Prefuse 73 but I don't know much things sounding similar so you might find the association too easy. Sound-wise it's not 100% my cup of tea (I like when there's more "dirt" to the sound somehow) but I can still enjoy it :)

keep it up

Thanks Antape

There are no samples apart from the cliche rapper snippets. All soft synths and processing.

I made a choice a couple of years back to stop with the samples so I can sell the tracks...even though I give them away for free.

Prefuse was great back in the early 00s but seems to have been royally shafted by warp....honestly if it wasn't for him and machine drum....as well as of course dilla....electronic music would look a lot different....so yea fair enough although like you say...comparisons etc

Thanks for listening.

oh I was really wrong then! still impressed by your work, that's some very tight synth programming.

I'm not familiar with that much music from Prefuse (pretty much One Word Extinguisher, 92 vs. 02, Reads The Books) and enjoyed those a lot back then! As for the two others you're talking about I just know their names. Damn I feel ignorant now, they are such big names... Any release you'd recommend? ;-)

i don't think those guys changed the direction of electronic music, the concept of convergent evolution would have led us down the same path. Not to knock what scott heron achieved, produced. I have no opinion on machine drum i can't see that he invented anything new though from what i've heard. Perhaps then it's better to see these guys as your influence, rather than key direction makers for the zietgiest.

/sorry

To me dillas death changed everything in electronic music. Machinedrum and Prefuse were both part of that early 00s hip hop electronic cross bread. No it wasn't new necessarily but I see a definite line between them and the wonky style that came soon afterwards with flying lotus etc. They were an important piece in the puzzle....maybe they aren't gonna get their own forum here but they are still integral....both to me and I think to the genres development...

Yea there's ten made. This one just took a week. Weird how I feel less time automatically must mean it's shit. I reckon new album is a month or two away for art and mastering. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived