IGNORED

Keep Your Head Above the Water

ganus

I started this track in 2012, and finished after the birth of my baby Orion. I am slowly putting together an album of songs that are supposed to tell a story about my life in the last 4 years and how everything has changed. this is the latest one I finished, hope you enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/kotekan/keep-your-head-above-the-water

Here's another one. A song I wrote in the closet under the stairs at a ticky-tacky box house we were renting. I jammed all my gear inside the closet and made self-isolation funk while the TV blared Gray's Anatomy on the other side of the wall

https://soundcloud.com/kotekan/in-the-heart-of-the-house

these sound very much like they could be released on vinyl. I really like the unique drums and synth sounds. any insides on production techniques? what kind of daw / synths have been used? what is your philosophy on melodies? you have one melody play the whole way through?

I have seen you did use some sample slice technique on your other eps. did you make these like this as well?

The first track is fantastic! It has an excellent rhythm and the quality of the sound design does imply a watery environment. Idk why but it reminds me of the underwater levels for Jak and Daxter.

Thanks very much!

these sound very much like they could be released on vinyl. I really like the unique drums and synth sounds. any insides on production techniques? what kind of daw / synths have been used? what is your philosophy on melodies? you have one melody play the whole way through?

I have seen you did use some sample slice technique on your other eps. did you make these like this as well?

Nothing exciting, I just do everything by ear. I start off with a sound I like and build around it, explore the possibilities and textures. it's my alternative to video games.

I sample whatever sound files I have laying around: my experiments and jams, field recordings, sound folders from PC games, my music folder, things I grabbed off odd records and tapes...

2nd track has a lot of MS-20, I recorded some patches and then sliced and re-pitched them as needed.

Melodies in the piano roll, I re-write and tweak it til it moves me, try to make it evolve over the course of the song. I like playing instruments, but it always just winds up as sample material, my brain is better at putting the pieces together on a computer.

• 2 months later...

Brilliant work. Particularly like the last two tracks. Really unique voice, fun melodies and can feel the love and attention that go into these.

Thanks very much! I'm glad you liked it. It's always great to hear good feedback from those you respect. And thanks for reposting Forgive on your SoundCloud!

FYI to anyone enjoying these, I will be selling 10 cassettes of the full album containing these tracks (17 tracks total) as an exclusive before I release it digitally or on a label. tapes will be $7 each +shipping, 90 minutes run time, with a bonus mix of unreleased tracks on the b-side.

Each tape is home dubbed and collaged with unique artwork. PM me to reserve a copy.

Archived