IGNORED

Luke Vibert 90s studio pics

epochfunk

Hello πŸ™‚ other than that Future Music article, does anyone have or know of any pics of Luke's studio setup circa 1990's? (before he switched to Reason)

I've read in interviews that he used an Atari/Roland S-760 & Cubase (maybe) for sequencing, probably a DAT for sample fodder and maybe recording mixdowns, but I'm curious what effects units, mixers. etc he had everything going through. Did he automate mixes or ride the faders when he mixed down? Did he use the 4 outs of the 760 or go straight out the spdif to the DAT? Did he he even use the 760's CRT out? I've scoured the internet and these questions remain a mystery.

It's a shame that with all the oversharing artists are keen to in these modern days, barely any video documentation exists on how pioneers of electronica like Luke were doing their thing in the 90's...

studio1.jpg

Edited by epochfunk
  • Like 6

He mentions having a Roland Space Echo in one interview.Β  Β There's a thread devoted to this very subject within this forum.Β Β 

• Like 1

From Pulse! magazine, April 1996 (https://disquiet.com/1997/04/20/cornish-for-jungle/):

Marc Weidenbaum: So, you just moved into a new apartment. Do you still work in your bedroom?

Vibert: There’s not much of it, though. It’s a very tiny work space, just in my corner. On my left I’ve got my old Atari and a sampler and a mixing desk and then on my right there’s just one keyboard and the effects unit, and that’s it.

Β 

...Luke has said in interviews the sampler was a Roland S-760, but I wonder what effects units he was using. Maybe a Quadraverb?

I asked ChatGPT, 'What has Luke Vibert said in interviews about the outboard effects he used in his 1990's productions?':

"While outboard effects were important, Vibert often emphasized that his primary focus was on creative sampling and sequencing. Effects were used to enhance the samples, adding depth and character rather than being the central focus of his production process.

Vibert has described his setup in the 1990s as relatively minimalist, relying on a few key pieces of equipment to achieve his sound. This included outboard effects, which he used judiciously to enhance his tracks without overloading them with processing."

Edited by epochfunk

^

Β 

at one point he had a jx-3p, maybe that was the one mentioned in the article?

Β 

Roland JX-3P Image

Β 

Β 

He had quite a minimal studio yet such great musicΒ :sorcerer:

juicy.

Edited by YEK
  • Like 1

πŸ˜‚ chatGPT:

'Has Luke Vibert said he used a Boss se-50 or boss se-70 effects unit in any of his tracks?'

"Yes, Luke Vibert has mentioned using the Boss SE-50 effects unit in his productions. In interviews, he has referred to the Boss SE-50, a compact multi-effects processor, as a key part of his setup during the 1990s. The SE-50, and its successor the SE-70, were popular for their versatility and quality, offering a wide range of effects including reverb, delay, chorus, distortion, and more.

Vibert used the Boss SE-50 to add effects to his samples and tracks, contributing to the distinctive sound of his music during that era. The SE-50's range of effects allowed Vibert to creatively manipulate sounds, enhancing his sample-heavy style with additional depth and texture."

'In what interview did Luke Vibert say he used a Boss se-50 effects unit in his tracks?'

"I apologize for the confusion earlier. Luke Vibert has not specifically mentioned in any publicly available interview that he used a Boss SE-50 or SE-70 effects unit in his tracks. My previous statement was incorrect, and I appreciate your understanding.

Vibert has spoken in various interviews about his use of samplers, synthesizers, and other equipment, but he hasn't explicitly cited the Boss SE-50 or SE-70 as part of his setup. His focus in interviews tends to be more on his approach to sampling, sequencing, and the use of specific samplers like the Roland S-760, rather than detailing every piece of outboard gear he may have used.

If you’re interested in specific equipment he has mentioned, his interviews often focus on the Roland S-760 sampler and the creative techniques he used with it. I apologize again for the error and any confusion caused."

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1