IGNORED

I wanna record Matmos playing live in L.A.

Guest maantecaaa!!!

Guest maantecaaa!!!

Matmos is going to be playing next month in L.A. at some recording studio. I'm thinking it's going to be somewhat informal so i'm going to email them and ask if it's ok to record the show.

I've never done this type of thing before and have some questions: what type of mic should I use? would it be better to try to record off of the soundboard? can I use my ipod for this(i've heard it can be used for hi-def recordings)? and the most ridiculous question of all...in theory, if I recorded live from the audience point of view and have another recording coming from the soundboard, would it be possible to mix it in a way that you can use the balance settings on your stereo to change your experience of the recording from being within the audience(noisy)to the more pristine signal coming from the soundboard?

take it easy on me guys! real newbie up in here!

Well, if you can get their permission, then it is most likely possible that you'd be able to record from the soundboard. I'm not sure of the quality of the iPod's recording, minidisc would be better I think - that's pretty much what they're designed for.

As for the audience recording, I'd say if you can also get a soundboard recording you could do some cool mixing so that in between tracks you get the audience noise and then while they are playing, the soundboard gets crossfaded in, i guess similar to professional live recordings.

Yeah bootleg stuff is always good if you can get a good mix of 2 sources, ie, audience and SBD. If going the audience route you obviously want the best mics possible. I'm not an expert at mixing sources but perhaps some of the folks at www.etree.org could help as that's a great trader site. And be sure to post whatever you record :)

Guest Mr. Magoo

yes tell us if you allowed to record this off the soundboard so next time vibert plays we can get his set, WHICH INCLUDED UNRELEASED ANALORD

Archived