IGNORED

is MPC only great for hip-hop?

Guest AAART

I've heard nothing but disappointment out of people that heavily use their mpc1ks....

lots of pads dying...sticking...double triggering...etc....

It makes sense hat is still happy with his, he doesn't use it :P

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard nothing but disappointment out of people that heavily use their mpc1ks....

after a year of constant use it's givin the pads will loose their power... it's an easy/cheap fix anyhow.

http://mpc-forums.com/

is a great place to frequent too if you have any questions.

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

yeah, it'd be good for gigging... and sorry, i thought you meant the midi in/out ports on the back, not the sequencer :dizzy:

i rarely use it for sequencing, to be honest. when i use it, i usually get something going that's a few tracks and record it on the computer.

i also use it as a sampler, sequenced from the computer :cool:

save up twice as much moola and get the 2500-

..which has the same midi specs. no thanks.

yeah, that's the conclusion i came to as well. 1000 is also smaller! not sure if the 2500 has compact flash mem as well, but i've found that rather convenient... you'll want a card reader, too, the usb mode of the thing is a pain because you have to stop what you're doing, but you can just pop the card out, put it in a reader, then put it back in later.

laptop free gigging is the reason i'm interested in decent sequencers

Exatcly why I 'm intrested in the MPC.. it's either that or a laptop.

I also have the electribe MX/SX in mind.

id say for live gigging the electribes are a much better choice. The mpcs can hold a lot more samples, but how many samples do you truely need in one gig?

Also the electribe has a shit load of knobs whilst the mpc has very little real time tweaking controls. The biggest disadvantage of the Electribe is thst the pads are NOT velocity sensitive. That is the biggest drawback for me personally. I just took my Electribe on a small tour and it held up very well even after getting beer poured on it and rained on.

id say for live gigging the electribes are a much better choice. The mpcs can hold a lot more samples, but how many samples do you truely need in one gig?

Also the electribe has a shit load of knobs whilst the mpc has very little real time tweaking controls. The biggest disadvantage of the Electribe is thst the pads are NOT velocity sensitive. That is the biggest drawback for me personally. I just took my Electribe on a small tour and it held up very well even after getting beer poured on it and rained on.

but you are using electribes in conjunction with a lapto no?

an mpc is a great setup and all you need is an mpc.

Guest Last post by

Is your Electribe driving external gear?

well on my tour i was using it to drive a laptop ;-) , so my comments don't really apply to the discussion at hand. I had my laptop lid closed most of the time because by doing program changes on the electribe i had Reaktor change patches.

Im sure it would be great for driving rack mounted gear as well though. I still think though that for gigging without a laptop an Electribe is a better live performence tool UNLESS velocity sensitivity is more important to you than 12 knob tweakable parameters.

instead save up and buy a $1200 laptop with midi pad controller

mpd24.jpg

those things look fucking nice but in practice they are flimsy and very cheaply made. I feel much more at home tapping on an actual MPC. The reason is mostly the weight of the mpc itself. Its heavy enough to not shake around or move while tapping on it. This midi pad controller device, unless you have it taped/screwed down to a rack or table will move around and shake when you tap out beas on it. I find this very non-pleasurable personally. Other people may not mind this.

Guest Last post by

well on my tour i was using it to drive a laptop ;-) , so my comments don't really apply to the discussion at hand. I had my laptop lid closed most of the time because by doing program changes on the electribe i had Reaktor change patches.

Im sure it would be great for driving rack mounted gear as well though. I still think though that for gigging without a laptop an Electribe is a better live performence tool UNLESS velocity sensitivity is more important to you than 12 knob tweakable parameters.

Close enough I guess.

What kind of improvs could you do with the Electribe? Do you have to stick to "pattern" type songwriting or can you just dump a really longfreeform sequence into it and mute and unmute tracks?

those things look fucking nice but in practice they are flimsy and very cheaply made. I feel much more at home tapping on an actual MPC. The reason is mostly the weight of the mpc itself. Its heavy enough to not shake around or move while tapping on it. This midi pad controller device, unless you have it taped/screwed down to a rack or table will move around and shake when you tap out beas on it. I find this very non-pleasurable personally. Other people may not mind this.

i have a padKontroller and i dont have any problems, but i understand where you are going. An easy fix, though i love the weight factor because i can take it everywhere because it fits in my laptop bag.

Have you toyed with the MPD24? it's my next purchase but i havent had any handon experiance, i just love those mpc1000 pads.

Close enough I guess.

What kind of improvs could you do with the Electribe? Do you have to stick to "pattern" type songwriting or can you just dump a really longfreeform sequence into it and mute and unmute tracks?

you can make from scratch 16 step sequences in real-time very easily using step record. The really nice thing about the Electribe is it has over 8 full measures as part of one single pattern. For live sets no chaining necessary unless you want 16 measures or some long ass looping pattern.

pre-exsisting patterns i used as well and yeah soloing and muting tracks is another possibility

it has tap tempo button so if you can spontaneously want to jam with someone who isnt sending out a sync signal

but the nicest feature of the electribe is the ribbon controller/arpegiator. With a couple bass drums and snares linked up to the ribbon controller you can improvise some great fucking beats. Its kind of like a roll controller except the Electribe also has a button for fast rolls (16t/32/32t), the ribbon controller does (4/6/8./8/16). So using them (the button and the ribbon) in combination is a great fucking real-time midi controller. Some drum machines roll feature does not send midi, fortunately the Electribe does. when you are doing melodic arpegios you can use the ribbon controller to do the speed and the fader next to it to control the decay times of the notes. If the knobs on the electribe sent midi (unfortunately they dont :huh: ) it would be the best midi controller i've ever used.

after a year of constant use it's givin the pads will loose their power... it's an easy/cheap fix anyhow.

http://mpc-forums.com/

is a great place to frequent too if you have any questions.

that's not a good thing when mpc2k's are still out there going strong....

Guest blicero

electribe sounds cool... but the padkontrol has the x/y pad which is even cooler than the ribbon controller.

i have a remote25 and a padkontrol, between the 2 of them... i can't imagine i'd be at a loss for control options.

between the 2 that gives me:

• 10 potentiometar knobs
  • 8 continuous encoder knobs
  • 8 faders
  • transport controls
  • 28 programmable buttons
  • 25 keys (w/ aftertouch)
  • 16 pads (fully velocity sensitive and each pad has customizable velocity curve settings; or can be used to toggle channel mutes, etc)
  • 2 x/y pads with (2 X's and 2 Y's on each)
  • joystick controller with adjustable spring back
  • both support foot/expression pedals as well, which i still haven't played with.
also, the spring back option on the remote25 touch pad is the coolest thing i've come across in music gear for a very long time. i'm able to improvise beats on the fly just by fondling the pad and joystick.

electribe sounds cool... but the padkontrol has the x/y pad which is even cooler than the ribbon controller.

i have a remote25 and a padkontrol, between the 2 of them... i can't imagine i'd be at a loss for control options.

between the 2 that gives me:

• 10 potentiometar knobs
  • 8 continuous encoder knobs
  • 8 faders
  • transport controls
  • 28 programmable buttons
  • 25 keys (w/ aftertouch)
  • 16 pads (fully velocity sensitive and each pad has customizable velocity curve settings; or can be used to toggle channel mutes, etc)
  • 2 x/y pads with (2 X's and 2 Y's on each)
  • joystick controller with adjustable spring back
  • both support foot/expression pedals as well, which i still haven't played with.
also, the spring back option on the remote25 touch pad is the coolest thing i've come across in music gear for a very long time. i'm able to improvise beats on the fly just by fondling the pad and joystick.

im curious how are you making/modifying beats with the x/y part of the pad controller, do you have some sort of custom midi patch made to convert CC data into gate information?

im curious how are you making/modifying beats with the x/y part of the pad controller, do you have some sort of custom midi patch made to convert CC data into gate information?

It just convets the data sent from the specific pad into differnt roll speeds/expressions or flam volume/interval. Here's an example of some drums i did just now.

drumz.mp3

It just convets the data sent from the specific pad into differnt roll speeds/expressions or flam volume/interval. Here's an example of some drums i did just now.

sounds pretty nice, does this pad controller have a step sequencer built into it or is it just a trigger controller? What exact model/make is this device you have. if its just a pad controller with no sequencing how did you create that loop you just posted. It sounds like a quantized beat to me (not hand played). My confusion arises from the fact that i assumed for most Roll buttons/parameters to work correctly you need some sort of tempo sync for the rolls to "lock" onto the main sequence.

sounds pretty nice, does this pad controller have a step sequencer built into it or is it just a trigger controller? What exact model/make is this device you have. if its just a pad controller with no sequencing how did you create that loop you just posted. It sounds like a quantized beat to me (not hand played). My confusion arises from the fact that i assumed for most Roll buttons/parameters to work correctly you need some sort of tempo sync for the rolls to "lock" onto the main sequence.

it doesnt sequence that i know of, but it's the Korg padKONTROL

index_p.jpg

I just tapped out the beat one sound at a time in a 32 bar repeating/overlapping graph running 4/4 with 120 tempo. I dont know if the the rolls are insynch with the tempo i'll experiment when i get home later. any other samples you are interested in hearing, let me know.

Guest blicero

hmmm, that's a pretty big trade secret of mine.... ;) it involves the sequencer step count.

i've also had fun connecting it to the release value of a sampler

Archived