IGNORED

NFBoC Lost To Copyright Restrictions

Joyrex

Thanks for the infuriating article.

"The urban landscape is saturated with trademarks, jingles and signs. We must not be constrained by restrictions on incidental use," filmmaker Kevin McMahon said. "If I inserted a wide shot of Yonge Street into one of my films, most lawyers would advise me to seek the permission of every merchant, billboard owner and advertiser." Lacking that, McMahon said, he would have to remove the shot."

Wonder how this would effect still images/photographs? If I'm a photographer in Canada, and take a brilliant picture of some street.. had I best contact a lawyer to clear it with every merchant? God. Infuriating.

No wonder everything is leaning to becoming so abstract and synthetic. Let's just create our own realities as this one is becoming much too expensive.

Guest Raddcliff

fuck man...this copyright shit is getting outta hand. soon youll be paying people that accidentally show in photos you take.

i read somewhere that in a ps3 racing game [the name eludes me] the developer had to payout fees for likenesses of BUILDINGS in thir game!

and a game that i werked on...we had to remove the M4 machine gun because the army now has [either copyright or the patent] on the gun and we would have to pay out for the likeness of that gun being in the game.

its becoming a fucking joke.

• 2 weeks later...
It's ironic that more Americans than Canadians posted in this thread. :happy:

lol, yeah it's funny, but i think more americans hang out on this sub-forum. you can try to prove me wrong though.

Archived