IGNORED

To those with MC-202's

Guest Ravi Rankin

Guest Ravi Rankin

I wanna cv and gate trigger my paia modular with it. I definately like the internal synth, but I would like to trigger out with it. I have not seen much online shit about using this way with modular synths, so any links or help is appreciated.

if you want to c/v gate out of a 202 then just put in the c/v gate outs into the c/v gate in on the machine you want to cv/gate up? i guess it wouldnt be no diffrent with a modular, but since im not a modular hero, i have no idea..

Guest Ravi Rankin

Yeah your right from I've tried already. I should elaborate. I've already got it to work once with some coax cables that I made myself(could be part of the problem) then I decided to get some radio shack 1/8 inch leads and they did not trigger it for some reason. I'm thinking its the cables. With the ones that I made, like I mentioned had the connectors from paia that were spliced with coax, but they were not long enough to use. So what I'm really trying to use is the Paia in DIN Sync mode in order to recieve MIDI clock in from anything into the Paia and send DIN Sync out to the 202. But at the same time CV and Gate trigger out of the 202 into the Paia. Is this even possible? I could have sworn this works because when I first made those Coax cables it worked, but I admit I was drunk and then turned everything off and did something else. Didn't work again after that. Whaddya Think?

Guest Ravi Rankin

Those coax ones were a bitch to solder onto the Paia connectors btw. So If you know of a solution that would help. My only gripe with Paia is that there cable and connector kits are a bit too expensive I'd like to find a cable alternative for my solution and test it again. Thanks.

well i might ad i dont own a mc202 i've only played on one for about 20 minutes..

but i do own a 101, which is praticually the same.

just a normal 3.5mm audio lead would work (if your modular has 1/4 jack just get an adapter)

the dsync wont controll anything on the c/v gate side of things, it'll just sync up the 202 with something else.. so for instance if you: drum machine - dsync -> 202 - c/v gate -> modular

then your sequence will be c/v gate'd into your modular... so all your note infomation and note vaules will come though the cv gate from your 202...

Guest Ravi Rankin

One more thing I should add. The cables I made were wired using tip and ring/sleeve. Meaning the core of the wire and the shield attached to the two different portions of the connector, however the paia cables,ie the ones connecting between each module on the Paia are using a single wire connection between each connection.

why not just use a 3.5mm audio lead

like - jacktojack.jpg

and if your modular has 1/4" jacks in

use one of these - HP35MMF_14M.jpg

which will cost you about £2

-

but now im completely lost what your question was in the first place?

if it was what i thought it was, like you wanna tigger an external synth with the 202 then its simple as

mc-202 c/v gate out -> modular c/v gate in <- - using regular 3.5mm audio cables

if it was you wanna trigger your modular with the cv gate of the 202 and then trigger another synth from the modular??

mc-202 c/v gate out -> modular c/v gate in <- -> modular c/v gate out -> "synth" gate c/v in <- (using 3.5mm cables or 1/4" adapters if need be)

-

i trigger my ext clock on the 101 using a 606 HT trigger - 3.5mm cable with a 1/4" adapter and it works fine!

also when i c/v gate up the 101 with the 303 i can just use the C/V (notes) and use the Gate [trigger] from the 606 for my note placings

or visa-versa by using the 101 ext sequencer to sequence notes and have them Gated [trigger] by the 303, which can do some fairly nice 5th chords which is nice!

Guest Ravi Rankin

like - jacktojack.jpg

and if your modular has 1/4" jacks in

use one of these - HP35MMF_14M.jpg

which will cost you about £2

-

but now im completely lost what your question was in the first place?

if it was what i thought it was, like you wanna tigger an external synth with the 202 then its simple as

mc-202 c/v gate out -> modular c/v gate in <- - using regular 3.5mm audio cables

if it was you wanna trigger your modular with the cv gate of the 202 and then trigger another synth from the modular??

mc-202 c/v gate out -> modular c/v gate in <- -> modular c/v gate out -> "synth" gate c/v in <- (using 3.5mm cables or 1/4" adapters if need be)

-

i trigger my ext clock on the 101 using a 606 HT trigger - 3.5mm cable with a 1/4" adapter and it works fine!

also when i c/v gate up the 101 with the 303 i can just use the C/V (notes) and use the Gate [trigger] from the 606 for my note placings

or visa-versa by using the 101 ext sequencer to sequence notes and have them Gated [trigger] by the 303, which can do some fairly nice 5th chords which is nice!

Thanks for the help. The modular has 3.5mm jacks, so that makes easier since thats what the 202 uses for cv out. I guess I was confused as to use mono or stereo 3.5mm leads. So yeah that clears it up.

Guest Ravi Rankin

Hey Chris Moss Acid, I found that the problem was I need a cable with both tip and ring/sleeve wired. the ground and the center core of the cable. You could test this by using a meter testing for ohms and you should get 0 ohms across the tip and ring of the cable, just as if touched both leads of your multimeter together. I dunno man thanx. something you said there made it help. cheers

This is very good info for me as well since Im heavily considering an MC-202 to use with my Synthesizers.com modular. Thanks for the info all! BTW, are you using 202hack to convert MIDI data to 202 tape input format? Im curious how well that ends up working.

like - jacktojack.jpg

those are stereo leads, will they work too?

i got mono ones from maplins and they seem to do the trick...

also, i think sequence 2 will play out the ext synth cv/gate out and 1 plays the int synth

(not got my manual for the 202 right now so cant confirm)

maybe try writing a sequence on both sequencers if your having any probs... dunno?

Guest Ravi Rankin

also, i think sequence 2 will play out the ext synth cv/gate out and 1 plays the int synth

(not got my manual for the 202 right now so cant confirm)

maybe try writing a sequence on both sequencers if your having any probs... dunno?

Your right. That was part of the problem. If I want to trigger my modular with the 202's cv-gate, I have to use the cv-gate outputs that is driven by the internal synth. So yeah that Sequence 1. Sequence 2 outputs cv-gate signals that comes from the cv-gate keyboard input. So you could actually keep routing siganls in and out of if have modular I guess, instead of using a cv keyboard. I dunno I'll try it. But yeah understanding which set of outs to use turned out to be the main problem here. But I'm gald I figured out which cables to use.

• 5 months later...

i sequence my SCI Pro-One with the mc-202 (i use two stereo mini jacks). if you have channel 2 selected, the ext synth will be connected to the CH2 and the internal synth on CH1. if you change it to channel 1, the two sources will switch places; the ext synth plays the sequence on CH1 and the internal synth on CH2

Guest dnoyes
I wanna cv and gate trigger my paia modular with it. I definately like the internal synth, but I would like to trigger out with it. I have not seen much online shit about using this way with modular synths, so any links or help is appreciated.

has nothing to do with this topic,but i did some reserch and found this- damn shame

http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2005/11/mr-...ts-is-dead.html

Archived