IGNORED

So im about to build my x0xb0x

Guest Coalbucket PI

Guest Coalbucket PI

So help me out here, Im feeling very threatened by all these components and my lack of experience and the fact I'm an idiot. I mean I can solder and follow instructions and be careful and all that but I don't really know what everything does... was sort of hoping to figure that out as I make it

Anyone else whos made one or who knows about this kind of thing might be very useful to me. Please tell me anything I'm likely to fuck up so I can avoid it. I'm gonna be okay just following the manual on the site right? If you could tell me that everything will be fine and not to worry, that would be great too.

I think I need to buy new a new soldering iron and multimeter, all I have is some really old cheap shits from hobby kits. So what do I want to look for in a soldering iron and a multimeter?

also, in the equpiment section of the manual it says

"Power Supply: a 9V hooked up to an LM317 & potentiometer"

what does that mean?

love,

clbkt

xxx

Guest Coalbucket PI

Thanks thats a good link... some parts of the adafruit fabrication manual seem to brush over things that dont make sense to me which is worrying.

I found this place http://www.circuit-innovations.co.uk/317.html selling lm317 kits which I can only presume is what I want... guh. i think this may be a project for when ive got more time off

you don't need a LM317 afaik, just a 9V AC wallwart. at least that's what i've done.

as for the assembly itself - it's pretty straightforward, just make sure you do all the checking inbetween. easier to troubleshoot one thing at a time ;)

i've built mine with almost zero complications so i might be of some (newb) help.

first get a psu/wallwart and make sure it outputs what you need. then go to the first stage (x0xb0x PSU) and test it!

you've ordered the presoldered usb chip, right?

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞

do they have a sequencer on board?

EDIT: ok it does.

They're pretty good value, $315, that's £160!

any soundclips available?

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞

nice, thanks

Guest Coalbucket PI

Syntheme: there are some comparisons here http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/samples.html, if you scroll down there is a soundfile which has 303 on one channel and x0x on the other so if you pan between them you can compare very nicely

you don't need a LM317 afaik, just a 9V AC wallwart. at least that's what i've done.

as for the assembly itself - it's pretty straightforward, just make sure you do all the checking inbetween. easier to troubleshoot one thing at a time ;)

i've built mine with almost zero complications so i might be of some (newb) help.

first get a psu/wallwart and make sure it outputs what you need. then go to the first stage (x0xb0x PSU) and test it!

you've ordered the presoldered usb chip, right?

Thanks mate... I did look through your thread and Id hoped there were a few more people who had built one since every 2nd topic is about 303s in here. I did get the USB pre-soldered, yes. And I got them to put in a 9V plug so I'm good for a temporary solution (because the US to UK transformers are fucking huge!)

If you don't mind could you tell me anything about the multimeter or soldering iron you used? Otherwise i'll just have to take a bit of a guess. Whats the actual damage you can do by soldering badly or with bad equipment? Is it just that if you apply heat to components for too long they get damaged?

I'm not going to be getting into it for a few months now anyway due to exams and shit, but I graduate in June so I will be a full time electro-hobbyist and then later a full time synth-squelchster, after which I should probably get a job

If you don't mind could you tell me anything about the multimeter or soldering iron you used? Otherwise i'll just have to take a bit of a guess. Whats the actual damage you can do by soldering badly or with bad equipment? Is it just that if you apply heat to components for too long they get damaged?

multimeter doesn't really matter, as long as it tells you what you need to know.

as for soldering iron, anything with a nice fine tip will do, maybe even the wider ones would be ok.. but yeah components can be damaged by excess heat. you've really got nothing to worry about, once you get used to it, it gets pretty easy.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Thanks, that sounds more like what I like to hear. Its just that I've got about the most basic multimeter and soldering iron already but any extra features dont seem to add a lot of new functions that mean anything. I should email adafruit about their equipment list being absent.

Guest tv_party

"Comments & Responses

pegelito (2 weeks ago)

start the fuckin kick allready"

LOL

Archived