IGNORED

My ableton is being deaf

mcbpete

'ello there.

Following on from my previous thread I finally got the Edirol PCR-500 and it works like a charm. Solidly built (except the cross-fader which feels kinda flaky).....

The question is though, how the blooming 'eck do I get Ableton to listen to my CC changes. When I twiddle the dials Ableton recognises that there's a MIDI signal coming in (the Midi In light flashes away) but when you stick it on the MIDI-Learn mode, it just ignores the values being sent and therefore I can't assign any of the dials, sliders or buttons to anything....

It seems like it transmits properly. Albeton recognises the midi-notes, the mod and pitch wheel. It also recognises that a signal is sent when using any of the assignable devices, but just won't allow anything to be assigned. Anyone know what might be going on ?

Is there also some sort of midi tool where you can see what midi information is being sent, under what Channel No., Midi value etc. (Basically something to see what is being transmitted, to hopefully work out why Ableton is ignoring it)

EDIT: Well I've found MIDI-OX ( http://www.infoserve.net/quickscore/useful.html ) which does exactly what I wanted regarding diagnosis, and it all looks like it's transmitting data properly and therefore I'm even more confused as to why Ableton isn't accepting this data.

EDIT 2: Yay, that was simple. I just had to make sure that Remote was set to ON in the Midi/Sync section on Options/Preferences for the Edirol device.

Guest mooncup

i got the PCR M30 as i said i was. not managed to set up the knobs yet though in abelton. maybe your notes above will help me.....hhmm

Guest JOSEF

i was gonna suggest you take the midi cables out from underneath the laptop and actually plug them in this time, but glad you got it sorted.

so will this new purchase of yours usher in a new era of live cubus shenanigans? (did you also get the bcr2000 or whatever it's called, or was that just talk?)

i was gonna suggest you take the midi cables out from underneath the laptop and actually plug them in this time, but glad you got it sorted.

so will this new purchase of yours usher in a new era of live cubus shenanigans? (did you also get the bcr2000 or whatever it's called, or was that just talk?)

Large Oat Lunch !! Yep I plugged them in for added effect this time.

I think I'm gonna lay off needing the BCR for a while. This has got a fine number of doohickeryies to keep me going for a while. It may indeed bring in a new era of live sessions, but without anyone wanting us to play anywhere....

Guest mooncup

hey pete - dint you used to use buzz? made the move to abelton? easy transition? i'm trying to do the same now. its so tempting when i can't work out how to do something in abelton to just open buzz. one of the major prolems i'm finding is that abelton can barely have any vsts open before it starts distorting whereas buzz i could have 10 plus before it started crapping out. you find this too?

Nah man, I'm still using Buzz. I just like tinkeling around with Ableton now and again for doing improvisation things. I'm still more than happy with using Buzz and especially with Buzé getting more and more stable with every release it looks like I'm going to stick with trackers for a long time to come. I just can't get my head round using piano-roll like software.

Guest mooncup

yer its tricky. but i felt like i outgrew buzz. i dint learn much of how itworked to be honest but i was stuck using the same things again and again and not doing anything new. not sure abelton is the right tool but i'm gonna give it a go.

the piano rollish thing annoys me too. but i think thats just coz i've used trackers for so long.

Guest JOSEF

i've only used ableton for live sets made from bits of tracks made in buzz, so i've not tried actually putting a track together in it.

the only benefits i've found using ableton are that it's better for live stuff and everything just seems to sound more sparkly and professional when made in ableton, whereas buzz seems to need a lot more tweaking to stop it sounding muddy.

...i have no idea why that is....

i had the same problem with vsts eating up all the resources. it's pretty annoying with playing live cos i'd ideally like to have a few fx on each channel, and use around 8 channels of different stuff going on.

Archived