IGNORED

guitars

kaen

yea guys i bought a $100 1990 hyndai with 500,000 miles on it and won the indie 500 with it!

yes i have higher standards than most when it comes to guitars, i've been playing for almost 20 years now, and i started off with a $15 "harmony" electric guitar and $50 "marlboro" amp (and no, not from the cigarrette manufacturer) and played the shit out of that thing, and yes you have much lower standards when you first start playing, but once i actually learned about guitars and what makes them sound good or bad (and yes no shit the player/playing has a lot to do with it) i found decent guitars (gasp!) cost money. big surprise, you get what you pay for. and wailing on a $170 squire strat is seriously like wailing on a $50 casio keyboard.

and on a more constructive note, on a low budget line 6 pods really can't be beat, $300 and tons and tons of great fucking amp and cab and mic models and built in effects and tuner which sound considerably more expensive than $300.

and yea they have computer guitar amp modelers but the pod is small and can be played anywhere and is it's own soundcard for whenever you want to record your shit.

also check out godin's for cheap, good guitars. i have not found any cheap guitars that surpass them in quality of parts or build.

a godin+line 6 pod=one motherfucking nice way to start playing guitar. and you won't feel the urge to upgrade nearly as quickly.

well i look forward to steadily going up the ranks in skill and equipment, thats part of the fun is it not?

getting better stuff rocks, the shitty shitty trade in value of your old stuff and the having to buy better stuff part is not so fun. the way i see it is if you're going to be doing it go ahead and spend the money for decent stuff, if you're not don't bother.

which of course to answer you'd kind of have to give it a try and by then it's already too late, you bought the shit, and if you bought shitty stuff the experience is not going to seem as fun, likewise if you buy nice shit and it's not for you then you just wasted a fuckload of money.

ok so the schecter im buying is a piece of shit in your opinion? im not sure how much it was when it was first brought out in 2002 i think? buts its been reduced from 200quid to 149 lately...what would you by for £200 quid if you were in my shoes, total beginner without the knowledge you have right now.

and wailing on a $170 squire strat is seriously like wailing on a $50 casio keyboard.

nah i disagree. you are missing an important part in the factor: the amps.

i have some friends in a local band, they have several guitars but once they play guitars like, plywood danelectros, hondo guitars (plywood too) with EMG pickups, or Squiers with seymour duncans in them. total beater, crappy guitars. then they use loads of pedals, and they use fender valve amps. they have a pretty nice tone. sometimes one of the guitarist switch to a fender mexican telecaster and i can´t find the difference in quality, yeah it sounds different because it´s another guitar, but it doesn´t sound exactly 'better', just 'different'.

btw kaen, i was reading some reviews, perhaps you´re interested:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data...ack_Hawk-1.html

it looks like a pretty good guitar, they say that they have a problem with the volume knob, something that probably you can fix for 10 bucks, then people sound like the exchange the pickups in the future, so you can have a good choice to upgrade there.

yeah thanks ezeh i was reading those the other day, generally good overall apart from the volume knob problem and like most of those people have done they replace the pickups which i can always do at a later stage. i still cant find any kickass pictures of the sunburst version, id love to see it.

i wouldnt suggest shit to anyone here on watmm.

except folk i dont particularly like of course... :fear:

i'm not a player myself i might add...but i work with plenty of people who have played for years and for under £150, they all reckon the Schecter is one of the best options. Beats a Yamaha Pacifica or cheap shite Ibanez. Basically good value..a bit more for your buck than comparable brand models.

If you want a mid level quality guitar you need to be spending 4-500 quid. a genuine a-series fender strat will set up back from 599 upwards for example..though you could pick up a mex/standard for 399 odds.

i'll get you a pic of the s/b finish kaen, have the digi camera in tomorrow anyway for other shit, so will post up if i can lay hands on one. meantime - the finish is pretty much the same as with the C1 sunburst..

large_1.1.1.1.1-64-180-30.8.111.24.100.jpg

and wailing on a $170 squire strat is seriously like wailing on a $50 casio keyboard.

nah i disagree. you are missing an important part in the factor: the amps.

i have some friends in a local band, they have several guitars but once they play guitars like, plywood danelectros, hondo guitars (plywood too) with EMG pickups, or Squiers with seymour duncans in them. total beater, crappy guitars. then they use loads of pedals, and they use fender valve amps. they have a pretty nice tone. sometimes one of the guitarist switch to a fender mexican telecaster and i can´t find the difference in quality, yeah it sounds different because it´s another guitar, but it doesn´t sound exactly 'better', just 'different'.

oh no i certainly don't discount the role amps and effects play in the tone and yes a shitty guitar through a nice amp is going to sound a lot nicer than a shitty guitar through a shitty amp, but then a good guitar through a good amp is of course going to sound better. i mean the guitar is the source instrument, the amp is merely like a form of modulation on that source tone. you can't really mask a shitty guitar by drenching it in nice amp tone, if it's a shit guitar it's still going to sound pretty shitty coming out a nice amp.

and for the record, mexican fenders are pretty much as good as american fenders, they use all the same parts and are basically made right over the border from eachother, the huge difference in quality comes when you look at the japanese or korean fenders compared to the mexican or american ones. and the mexican fenders are cheap as shit.

and again it all depends heavily on what kind of music you want to play too, i mean shitty guitars do have their place, like a shitty basswood danelectro sounds fucking great on some of the led zeppelin tunes jimmy page used them on, same with sleater kinney and such, different guitars produce different tones which are good for different things. there are of course some "jack of all trades" guitars out there, but it also depends heavily on what you want to play. i.e. if you're going for a death metal shred tone the danelectro is probably not that good a choice, likewise if you're going for a jangle pop sound you probably don't want a usa handmade neck thru bc rich shred guitar.

i hate to be so unconstructive and just shit over peoples ideas, but what kind of music are you interested in playing on guitar, i could come up with much better suggestions based on that.

and under 200 pounds is quite the budget task, i definately suggest going used, and taking your time to buy one, i.e. don't just go to the store and buy the first halfway decent one you see because you can afford that, at 200 pounds i suggest figuring out roughly what you want in the way of a guitar (in terms of what bands of guitarists guitar tones do you like and want to be working with yourself?), this will help narrow down the choices, then you can possibly come up with a list of maybe 5-20 different guitars you'd want and then you can keep an eye out in shops and on ebay/other online used guitar outlets (especially if you have craigslist where you are) and then when a good deal comes along (and they're bound to) you can jump on it and get something decent.

i wouldn't even think of fucking with the market of new guitars for under 200 pounds.

well i really cant afford anything more than im paying now and for £129 the schecter is a damn good buy, especially this year as money is tight i just wanted a hobby to pass the time, i understand exactly where you are coming from though because ive been djing for like 10years now and i spit on anything that isnt a technics 1210 frankly so id probably go round doing what you are doing.

id like to be able to play prettymuch anything on it and from the reviews it sounds like it can do that and anyway i really cant be picky next year ill have more money and yeah maybe then ill know more and i can make a proper decision and spend alot more money but until then im gonna just flow with this little number and see how it goes..

Guest Sleep Ophelia

Hey, I have a Schecter electric, and I like it. I know jack shit about guitars, though.

Nice, heavy construction.

i started with a fender squire pack then i got a 1994 Tex mex sunburst fender stratocaster, which i played for around 2-3 years before i smashed it up and made a "frankenfender" out of the squire and fender which iplayed for a year or so while also playing with a lefthanded Sg for a while, then i got a Flying V [which i installed a killswich] and now the only guitar that survived my "guitar years" is my V and now i play mostly with a Custom made guitar, which a kill-switch, pre-amp and noise gate and scooped frets [18=22]

acousticly i have a batterd yammaha fg-110 "ben Wah" guitar that i had before i even got an electric, and a Tangle wood Tw-300 Handmade guitar

i had a 15 watt squire amp which i chucked off a roof

then i got a marshall 30-cd? wmp got stolen from a gig

then i got a line 6 spider 2 - i hated it the first time i played a gig with it.. was horrible, but then i relized you need to bypass the digital mode to play with an analoufe fx pedal, not im quite keen on the amp

here is some crap webcam picturs of my axe's

tanglewood Tw-300

Yammaha FG-110

Flying V

Custom

i started with a fender squire pack then i got a 1994 Tex mex sunburst fender stratocaster, which i played for around 2-3 years before i smashed it up and made a "frankenfender" out of the squire and fender which iplayed for a year or so while also playing with a lefthanded Sg for a while, then i got a Flying V [which i installed a killswich] and now the only guitar that survived my "guitar years" is my V and now i play mostly with a Custom made guitar, which a kill-switch, pre-amp and noise gate and scooped frets [18=22]

acousticly i have a batterd yammaha fg-110 "ben Wah" guitar that i had before i even got an electric, and a Tangle wood Tw-300 Handmade guitar

i had a 15 watt squire amp which i chucked off a roof

then i got a marshall 30-cd? wmp got stolen from a gig

then i got a line 6 spider 2 - i hated it the first time i played a gig with it.. was horrible, but then i relized you need to bypass the digital mode to play with an analoufe fx pedal, not im quite keen on the amp

here is some crap webcam picturs of my axe's

tanglewood Tw-300

Yammaha FG-110

Flying V

Custom

Tb-303

ok ive got it down to these two then

schecter backhawk @ £129

or

epiphone lp100 @ £139

ism, would your place be able to order in one of those epiphones if i decide to go with it? otherwise ill have to go to this other place and id rather give your shop the money, hehh :flower:

still undecided at the mo anyway..

ok ive got it down to these two then

schecter backhawk @ £129

or

epiphone lp100 @ £139

ism, would your place be able to order in one of those epiphones if i decide to go with it? otherwise ill have to go to this other place and id rather give your shop the money, hehh :flower:

still undecided at the mo anyway..

i'm sure we'll have em in stock. and yes, if not - I can order you one (or rather...mosca will...since thats his joab now! :wink2: ). pretty sure we will though.

Archived