IGNORED

guitars

kaen

ok im thinking about learning guitar and i need a half decent acoustic to start off on, anyone here with any knowledge of guitars to guide me? and also i need somewhere good to buy it from i have zero clue about online music stores so that would help and dont forget im in the uk.

also can anyone recommend any tutoring books/videos that i could get, i dont have anyone to learn from physically so one of those will have to do.

cheers!

Guest androne

this looks about right.

:phone:

really though, either get a decent used guitar or if you want new go for one of those pretty cheap guitar packs that come with a gig bag and such, probably spend less than $150.00 usd. you said you wanted 'half decent' so maybe thats not the way to go but I think it would be suitable.

get something somewhat decent; the problem with cheap guitars, is that they feel... well, cheap, and shitty, and you won't be bothered wanting to learn it because it won't be as fun. make the experience enjoyable!

Guest Sleep Ophelia

I have an inexpensive Washburn acoustic (about $100 I think, but I got it as a gift) but I think it feels and sounds pretty good, and it keeps its tune unlike a lot of cheap guitars. I've never played a really good acoustic, though, so I could be way off on this.

yea im gonna get an electric, mr moss convinced me, im gonna look round for sommat under 100quid ive already got an amp in the form of my 2k rig, cant wait to get learnin

nice thing with an electric guitar is you can feed it back into your computer and use virtual amps and such with it. guitar rig, and guitar port are worth looking into.

pm me kaen.

sure i can sort you out with whatever you is after...at vewy good pwice.

cheers ism ill have a look around that site and get back to you!!

Guest Analogue Wings

Takimines and the Ibanez Performer series are good value for first guitars - check the auction sites and such

Otherwise, there's always...

delmundo.jpg

Above all, don't buy online (unless you really REALLY know what you're doing). Playing before you buy is a must. Tons of people might recommend a particular model, but depending on the manufacturer, every instrument is going to have a very unique sound that can't rely be predicted.

he's in safe hands! (ish)

if he dont like it, he can change it for something else.

and so on.

customer servicism.

thanks for the advice peoples im in the capable hands of two fine gents mr chris moss who was telling me the basic difference between acoustic and electric and various other info about the essentials and mr ism who is sorting me out a wicked deal on equipment.

ok this is what i should be getting from various places;

schecter blackhawk (sunburst)

zoom 505 mk2 multifx

guitar for beginners dvd

+ all the usual essentials (strap/case/cables/picks)

already got an amp

maybe ill post some clips of me being shit on it later in the year :grin:

if he dont like it, he can change it for something else.

thats damn reassuring :beer:

thanks all

any acoustic under a grand is not worth having.

i know the whole "whaaa, you don't need to spend a lot of money to whaaaaaaaaa" crowd is not going to like that statement, but it's the fucking truth. you can get away with $500-$800 for a decent electric, but for an acoustic, under a grand buys you a piece of shit, plain and simple.

if you spend under $200 on a guitar, i guarentee you it is a piece of shit.

it's an expensive hobby.

my roommate paid about 150 for his guitar in college, signed up for lessons, went to one lesson, lost interest, and the guitar eventually ended up in my room. i was the only one who played it. so when we moved out i packed it up with my shit and still have it, it's a decent guitar for zero dollars.

and my GOD, when i play on an electric or a really good acoustic, i fucking WAIL SO HARD on it, like everything was dipped in butter and the notes slip and slide effortlessly around like a sloppy hoo

if you spend under $200 on a guitar, i guarentee you it is a piece of shit.

i started with a $100 bucks squier stratocaster and was very well made. the tone wasn´t great, but it was a good guitar. very far from crap. same with my $120 bucks squier precision. good, nice bass. i mean, you can practice, learn, play, buy an amp, play gigs with it. what the hell.

anyways, yeah, if you want a good acoustic guitar you will be expending more money. but he´s learning. i learned with a 20 buck guitar, played a year with it. it was a gift from a friend. i loved it and it´s the worst sounding guitar i ever played.

Guest sub sub

You should also consider buying a decent acoustic as they are good to learn on. You can always use a pick up if you want to feed it into the computer. The link below is for a company that sells some great sounding acoustic guitars really cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-V300-Parlour...1QQcmdZViewItem

The Guitar Magazine awarded the V300 ‘Best Acoustic Guitar Under £1000’ in their end of year round up. I've played on it and it is such a nice sounding guitar yet so cheap.

I recently bought a fishman pickup for my own acoustic and a Line 6 Pod XTlive (guitar amp emulator) and have so far been really impressed with the results.

yea look theres no way im shelling out wads of cash for a setup to learn on, this little lot is costing me under £200 because ism is sorting me out and i happen to think its a bargain, anyway i wouldnt know what the difference was between a £150 guitar and a £1000 guitar because i cant even play a chord yet so drop that stupid talk, once ive learnt how to play which will be a while then i can start thinking about moving up but frankly its all for my own amusement anway i have no intention of playing live or anything, all i wanna do is learn how to play to keep me occupied when im bored then maybe make a few tunes i can stick on teh internets so people can degrade me. :grin:

Archived