IGNORED

Building An Audio PC

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞

(and obviously, syntheme already has got the whole character/identity thing covered)

one of those cute apogee ensemble soundcard might be a decent option too. maybe apogee even does a pink colored version ??

FUCK I keep forgetting that I'm posting hardware shit in a thread by some dude who makes acid, god damn it.

ahh, nothing like the feeling of wasting your time on someone who isn't worth your time

*tips hat*

what is a good 4(minimum) input soundcard? . my sound box keeps freezing my computer so i'll need to get a new one.

Nothing fancy - i.e. no surround sound, just 16 bit 44khz is all i want.

I have this for my laptop.

afa1eaa2bef5fe505e9732a3b15a84f8.jpg

Terratec Phase 88 Firewire. It was a tad expensive but I like it. I've been using Terratec for 5 years now and I've not had one fuck up on me. I like that German "eins-zwei" type efficiency.

get an EMU soundcard, or if you can stretch (and it's quite a stretch) the fireface400 but i heard really good things about this recent EMU series, especially considering the prices.

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞

cheers for the sound card recommendations. will look into that further

CPU\AMD Athlon 64 X2          AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000+ 2MB SKT-AM2     
Memory\DDR2                           2gb DDR2 PC-5400 667 MHZ     
Hard Drives\SATA                           500 GB SATA HDD UDMA 300 7200 16MB     
Second Hard Drive                           NOT INCLUDED     
Graphics Cards                           INTERGRATED 3D VIDEO     
Motherboards\AM2                           ASUS SKT-AM2 M2N8-VMX S/V/L M-ATX 2000     
Optical Drives\DVD Writers         SAMSUNG DVD+/-RW 18x6x18x8 D/LAYER BLACK (IDE)     
Second Optical Drive                  NOT INCLUDED     
Floppy Drives                           NOT INCLUDED     
Card Readers                  NOT INCLUDED     
Power Supplies                  STANDARD 350 PSU INCLUDED WITH CASE     
Operating Systems                  NOT INCLUDED     
Microsoft Office                  NOT INCLUDED     
Anti Virus                           NOT INCLUDED     
Sound Cards         ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL 5.1 SOUND     
Firewire Card         NOT INCLUDED     
USB Ports         4 X USB 2.0 PORTS     
Networking         FAST 10/100 LAN (BROADBAND READY)     
Technical Support         1 YEAR - E-MAIL SUPPORT     
Warranty Package         1 YEAR RETURN TO BASE     
Delivery Options         NEXT DAY AFTER COMPLETION

Inc VAT £294.16 + Interlink Delivery £34 = 330QUIDUS

i think that's quite expenxive, non?

the delivery is a lot inuit?

perhaphs I should get it from a local computer shop/fayre

I don't know much about AMD so I can't comment, but £330 for what you've just listed there (500Gb HD, 2Gb RAM etc) seems pretty good to me??

I wouldn't get an integrated graphics card as I've mentioned, but yeah.... seems quite good.

Man computers are cheap these days and I need to replace my desktop.... *puts on thinking cap*

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞
WHY AMD???

no particular reason!!! is there a similarly priced/better performing intel chip?

I don't know much about AMD so I can't comment, but £330 for what you've just listed there (500Gb HD, 2Gb RAM etc) seems pretty good to me??

I wouldn't get an integrated graphics card as I've mentioned, but yeah.... seems quite good.

Man computers are cheap these days and I need to replace my desktop.... *puts on thinking cap*

i'll eventually get another graphix card so i can have multiple monitors, but to begin with i can just use the on-board GPU

i have just scored to fuck this week, i got a reconditioned 4 gigabyte, dual core 2.4 processor 700 gigabyte RAID HD top notch pc for 400 quid, and i also swapped my 101 for the 26/1 focusrite saffire pro and a set of really nice monitors. well cheaper than building.

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞

i just checked, i could get a 'INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6400 1066FSB SKT775' system for the same price as the 'AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000+ 2MB SKT-AM2'

which is a faster processor for audio though?

EDIT: I checked on techreport.com and the athlon outperforms the intel on all of their tests. Only the top of the range intels outperform the amd64x2-6000 and they are way more expensive!

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞

folding-tinker.gif

sse/3d now based test (i use certain softwares that really heavily on SSE/3d now code)

although, their conclusion is that the Core 2 Duo E6400 is the best option for value for money

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞

Yes I've looked over plenty of bench-marks. the intel does better over all except in the SSE/3d max trials.

I have some software that uses all that vector stuff (i don't know what that means, that's just what this person told me to say), so the AMD is the logical choice.

For the rest of the software, the intel would be better though.

so in conclusion: I'm not sure yet - but either will make a big difference anyway so i probably shouldn't fret too much about it!

Archived